Just another guy with charging issues

well done With your methodical approach and attention to detail you should have no problems with the rest

002.JPG
Heat sink compound........I used the Radio Shack units on one bike and ebay rectifier on another bike. For the Radio Shack rectifier I used Duralast SL203 compound from Autozone. Two little packets of putty, just enough to do the job for just over $2. I'm not sure if there was suppose to be two packets inside that little box, but my little box had two packets in it. I used a piece of a bent up old aluminum spirit level for the heat sink, Stainless screws, nuts and lock washers with ring connectors crimped and soldered for the connections.

Scott

Oh yeah, when I have to use the crimp on insulated connectors I cut the plastic insulators off, crimp and solder, then cover with shrink tube. I hate those plastic insulators as much as I hate bungee cords. I wish I had a picture of the crimp that I do, basically it's crimp one side, then fold the other side over the first crimped side, it's not hard to do with the cheapie crimpers.

Last edited:
An aluminum level is a great idea! I was wondering if I needed heat sink compound. What does it do? Is like a putty? I've never messed with the stuff. I like the idea of solder and heat shrink. I was in Houston for X-mas last year went to electronics store called FRY's Electronics and bought tons of the stuff for building my home brew fuel injection set ups. If I would have had the XS back then I would have got all the stuff to build the rectifier!

Some rectifiers come with their own heat sink. The Radio Shack parts need a heat sink attached to them, the compound goes between the RS parts and the heat sink for better heat dissipation, it's like Playdoh but is supposed to harden up later. Electrical solder....the commonly sold lead free stuff is crap, electrical solder with lead is the stuff to use, cheapo butane torches are fast.

Scott

Heat sink compound fills the voids on the mating surfaces of the 2 components so you get 100% contact between them. This gives better or the best heat transfer. You can see a little of the gray compound squeezing out the side on mine .....

WFxgZEt.jpg

Back