Just bead blasted my carbs

tigman175

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just did this 5 minutes ago. I was pulling them apart to clean and rejet (from the info ive gathered here im going w a 135 main and a 45 pilot to start. Pod filters and straight pipe. Feedback is welcome). I ended up disassembling them completely and decided to blast them at work. I sealed them up of course beforehand and soaked/washed thoroughly and repeatedly w lacquer thinner after blasting.
full

They're gonna look great on this!!
full

Make 100% sure each and every passage is cleaned out, that glass bead gets everywhere! I prefer walnut for carbs myself... But they do like shiny and new for sure when glass beaded

Soda works great, won't get the finish as even as Bead Blast, but much less dangerous. It will get them clean, just not as new looking. Soda disolves in fuel and oil and presents no threat to the engine like Glass Bead does...

I picked up a 50lb bag on your recommendation, instead of going the Glass bead route. Couldn't be happier, and it's so easy to use without having to buy a bunch of extra equipment IME. It cleans right up, and makes my hair look like I'm in my 60's.

Love the black motor. You dont see that very often. did you do it or have it done?

I had it done. There is a blasting business that we deal with at work that will blast with any media you want...sand/walnut/glass/soda etc. I had mine done with soda. The motor only had 9000 miles on it and ran great so i couldnt justify tearing it down...(thats why i went with soda) It cleaned off EVERYTHING. Didnt harm the seals or anything else. I made block off plates w gaskets to prevent anything from entering the intake and exhaust, but as hugh said..it doesnt matter if it does anyway. Then I painted it with vht flat black, which came out more of a satin, which looks great imho.
full

That was a greasy factory painted black heritage special motor. I have to add that the soda took the rust off of any chrome as well.

Many - 1) They're physically too small. 2) They taper too much (CV carbs don't like that). 3) They appear to be the cheap K&N repros which usually have a large inner lip that blocks the air jets. 4) K&N style filters with the pleated element just don't work that well on a CV carb. They disrupt the air flow. A straight foam pod is best.

Damn, The motor looks amazing as well as the carbs. Hopefully getting to do mine sometime soon. Thanks for pics and tips.

Back