just bought an xs650...could select gears, now cant.

mistercartoon

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gday all, so here a few pix of the raked 650 i just purchased.
done small things like made a new seat, re positioned indicators, new vm carbs, installed sparx pma, flashy (maybe pointless) finned oil filter, bobbed rear gaurd & full rewire.
So, all thats good & well...i WAS able to select all gears just fine then i changed outer covers (timing & kickstart) & still had all gears then ive done SOMETHING & cant select any gears at all.
ive tried adjusting clutch cable at the timing cover case, rolling bike to move piston position, pulled clutch rod (bearing went back in) & still nothing!
removed clutch basket to inspect shift fork (star shaped thing) was adjusted correctly & yes it was.
im sold that its not a major internal issue (shifting fingers) as ive only lost gears since ive been buggerizing around.
any advice would be really helpfull. cheers

Attachments

• DSC_7012.jpg
    DSC_7012.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC_7160.jpg
    DSC_7160.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC_7151.jpg
    DSC_7151.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC_7162.jpg
    DSC_7162.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC_7161.jpg
    DSC_7161.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 157
Offhand, I don't see anything unusual in your pics. But, to get you started, try using the search terms "star wheel" and "neutral detent" and "shift shaft" in the google search box. Check those threads for info and see if anything sounds similar...

The engine does not like shifting whilst not running. Not sure if you tried running the engine(just saw you got the covers off, so that'll be a no!) or turning the rear wheel by hand whilst shifting.

The reason i want to engage a gear ANY gear is so i can tighten up the retaining nut of the sparx PMA i have installed....cannot run bike with loose...
i was going to get it in gear, have sum1 sit on it with brake on & tighten that sucker up...im stuck for another way to lock up the engine.
cheers

Seeing you have both covers off, why not have someone on the other side hold the shaft with a relevant spanner or socket, problem solved!

Back