Just getting started.

Well I haven't been around for a while. Kids, snow, wife, and life..... Oh well, spring is in the air and I guess I better dust her off and plan on getting her on the road. Really looking forward to getting my first ride in.

Well I have finally found a Y fitting that I like so I can splice my single fuel line from the petcock into dual lines to the carbs. It’s nothing fancy, but it was harder to find than I initially thought. New front tire is on order and then its start up and first ride time.

The weather has been up and down here in Toronto, and I am getting the itch to get her on the road. She has been tucked under a cover in my buddies shop for far too long. Since the January show as a matter of fact. I bet she is begging for attention. :(

Hopefully with the acquisition of these new parts I will get the motivation to get back at ‘er. Now to convince the wife.

Well, it finally happened. I got the time, with thanks to my wife to wrench and get it started. I finally heard her running. First time since the bike has been in my possession. I was so worried that there would be something majorly wrong. But after many adjustments and corrections to my wiring at the points and condenser, she sparked to life!!!! So happy this afternoon. No action shots, no videos, just my smiling face behind the camera. One thing I will have to address. Straight pipes are LOUD. LOL.

Here are a couple photos of her today.

photo_zps7a339f12.jpg

photo_zps1a64ba1e.jpg

Signed One Happy Dude. :smoke:

New front tire is going on tomorrow and then she should be good to go. May need to revise the charging system. Time will tell during the shakedown. I do need to go over the entire bike and locktite all the bolts. They were backing out all over the place yesterday. LOL. I'll get her done.

Thanks Pete. I have quite a bad back so hard tailing was out of the question. I'm going for an unconventional look. I am thinking of a fork swap next. Can't decide to go modern, with an R6 or go old school with a -2 Springer. Time and finances will tell.

Also a photo of my bike has been published in the June issue of The Horse. It has been a good year for my bike. First was my 3rd place finish in the Rat Bike class at the Canadian International Motorcycle Show and now to be in an international publication.

photo_zps59bf841e.jpg

Last edited:
I am missing a piece from my carburetors. I have copied the image from the Daniel Pierce artwork available on this site. Hope nobody minds. I will remove it if asked. I guess it is the choke mechanism. Anybody have one of these or know where I can find one?

photo_zps0f2c58f2.jpg

The lever thingy in the middle of the image. The rest of it is there.

I ordered a Pamco setup today. Really looking forward to tossing the points. Although they work, I just want something that I don't need to adjust. I am going to be making up some baffels for my straight pipes. Its just to loud!!! I also got a mini speedo for legality and safety reasons. More to come.....

I find it safer to ride without a speedo myself... keeps me from trying to hit triple digits, and just be satisfied with 'feeling' like im going 100+ :laughing:

Got my Pamco Ultimate Ignition kit and 1.9" mini speedo by FedEx this morning. Looking forward to more wrenching time. Now to double check my charging system, and justify to my wife to go with a PMA. LOL :laugh:

Just scrolling back up this thread and realized that I need that choke lever too. Should have ordered that yesterday. :doh:

Guess I need that PMA after all. LOL :wink2:

And I've ordered my PMA from Hugh's HandBuilt. Yay!!! Its finally coming together. So Excited!!!!

But I'll still need to put that order together for XS650Direct for that choke lever. Unless somebody has a spare they could give me. Send it by mail maybe???? LOL

Last edited:
Took a while but I finally received my tracking number from Hugh for my PMA. Now for wifeypoo to let me out of the house long enough to start wrenching again. I wanna have her on the road this summer. Although she runs good now I just want reliability. Just that small piece of mind that I have a solid running machine and fully operational electrical system.

Back