Just put oil in, not seeing it in the head . . . .

alfredo

1978 xs650 Special
Reaction score
Just filled my case with oil after putting the motor back in the frame. It's not wired yet so not running. I have kicked it over about 20 times to see if oil would come out of the top (i have the valve covers off) and it hasn't yet. . . .

Just trying to make sure I have everything hooked up right . . . . . should I see oil with just kicking it or does the motor need to be fully on for the pump to generate enough force to push oil up to the heads so I can see it . . . ?

I have the tappet covers off now and can see the valve springs, but no oil. Do you meant that the engine needs to run for real in order for me to see oil or that I should be seeing it with just kicking the motor over and it not running. . . ?

i think the oil pump needs some good rpm's to build enough pressure to get the oil up there, like CDNTX650 said the engine should be fine to fire up especially if you lubed everything properly on assembly.

thanks amigos. just went out in the garage and removed the oil tube, banjo bolts and filter and confirmed that the passages are not blocked and that the oil does pump out into the filter area. so, it must just be a pressure thing. :thumbsup:

It takes a lot of kicking to fill all the oil galleries and get upto the head. You'll get very tired. If you have oil pumping to the filter cavity in the side cover then the pump is working. It will get oil where it needs it with in a few seconds after it starts.

You guys were right. I have been running the motor for a bit now and the oil is definitely getting to the top. Just kicking it did nothing for me, but once she fired, it was all good.

Back