Sold / Found / Inactive - Kick start assembly

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
The kick starter on my XS is missing chrome and rather than having it rechromed, I thought I’d see if anyone had a nice one for sale. The bike is a ‘76 but I’m not sure this is the stock kick starter. Please message me with what you have. Chrome must be in good shape. Thanks.

B072DDFE-F26B-4996-8137-AD386F105814.jpeg
D9F88B46-32EB-4853-AF6B-33AD250BD982.jpeg

Looks like an early straight kick start. Pretty sure later ones had curve to them.

I got a nice one from DogBunny Parts Supply.

Looks like an early straight kick start. Pretty sure later ones had curve to them.

I got a nice one from DogBunny Parts Supply.
Thx hopefully someone will have one. I have the other style as a spare but need this particular design to allow me to use the kickstart with my rear set assembly.

That looks like a modified lever to me. A significant amount of material has been removed from the the inside of the lower bend. Is that why it clears your rear sets? If so, you need to re-chrome the one you have.

That looks like a modified lever to me. A significant amount of material has been removed from the the inside of the lower bend. Is that why it clears your rear sets? If so, you need to re-chrome the one you have.
I’ll have to flip it around to have a look. I didn’t think it had been ground down. Thx

I’ll have to flip it around to have a look. I didn’t think it had been ground down. Thx
B072DDFE-F26B-4996-8137-AD386F105814.jpeg

What I'm talking about is right there in your pics. If that's an XS650 lever, it's been modified. Maybe it's from some other model, but I doubt it. There's no good reason to thin the lever at that bend. Except for the missing material, that is an early XS650 (70-73 or so) straight lever.

View attachment 235343
What I'm talking about is right there in your pics. If that's an XS650 lever, it's been modified. Maybe it's from some other model, but I doubt it. There's no good reason to thin the lever at that bend. Except for the missing material, that is an early XS650 (70-73 or so) straight lever.
Ok will have a closer look. Thx

I took a closer look. That is not an early straight lever, modified or not. That has to be from some other model.

Don't rule out polishing the steel one you have. More upkeep than chrome but if it's inside in foul weather, it's a viable option. I've been pleasently surprised with how well polished mild steel looks. Chroming is super expensive and pretty awful for the environment, although maybe newer process aren't as toxic.

I had a close look at the kick starter and @DogBunny is correct. This starter arm has been modified. Maybe I’ll try polishing it @andrsn and see how long it lasts. Looks like the ground down area might be plain steel. The bike lives indoors and rarely gets wet so perhaps a viable option. Thx.

Polish and shoot a 2k clear coat.

In 5 -10 years when it peels or chips no buggy to redo it.

Rattle can 2k clear is pretty cheap.