kick start seal problems?

youngandlearning

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
today was my first attempt at starting my bike after building her, only took a few kicks to get the fuel flowing and she started right up, HOWEVER. while kicking it I some how tore apart a BRAND NEW kickstart seal? Im wondering if it is possible to install wrong ( don't see how you could) I also know my kick start shaft has to wiggle play in it, is this normal or should it be 100% stiff and firm? i'm new at all this but SUPER close to riding, this is the only thing holding me up. any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

That is very odd. Only things I can think of would be: wrong seal? Gasket cement used on seal and glued itself to the shaft? Severe roughness on shaft gouging seal? Left a tool or beercan by mistake wedged between the seal and case?

shaft has to wiggle play in it, is this normal or should it be 100% stiff and firm?

Not sure if I understand this, are you spending too much time on the XXX websites?:wtf:

Yes, the seal should be a snug fit on the shaft and so too should the cover. The cover is supposed to hold the shaft from wiggling. It has (or should have) a steel bushing pressed into it that fits snugly on and supports the kick shaft. If the shaft wiggles all around with the cover on, something's wrong, and the seal can't do it's job on a shaft with too much side play like that.

thanks 5twins after pulling out the seal I saw I didnt have the steel bushing behind the seal which was allowing play in the shaft along with a good leak. got her all buttoned up and runs with no leaks. now I just have to trouble shoot my idle problem, ill be sure to do some reading before I ask for help.

I have the same problem of tearing up seals. I certainly understand the need for the kickstarter bushing, but don't seem to have one. Also, I can't find one in the parts manual. Is it an integrated, non removable part of the clutch cover?

My engine is an XS1 in an old race bike and the kickstarter was removed and the hole plugged. I have removed the plug and installed the oil seal shown in the attached PDF, but where is the bushing? Part #10 in the drawing is what I used. I also have part #9 but was told that was no longer used. End play on the shaft is about 1 mm.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Kickstarter 1971 XS650.pdf
    57.9 KB · Views: 145
The kickstart bushing is a part of the right sidecover. I assume a heat fitted part, not available separately.
XS650-KickstartBush01.jpg

Here's a rear cutaway showing the exposed flange of the bushing.
XS650-KickstartBush02.jpg

The green lines show the bushing's cross section.
XS650-KickstartBush03.jpg

I think mine has a large, thin washer also, where the kickstart bushing arrow is.

Yes, some have a thin shim washer there, some may not. Mine didn't but needed one so I added it. My kick shaft would move in and out more than I thought was right.

The kickstart bushing is a part of the right sidecover. I assume a heat fitted part, not available separately.

I have a right side cover that has a hole punched in it from an accident so if someone would be interested I could see if that busing will press out to be used in another cover.

I'm thinking to install it may be that cover was heated and bushing put on dry ice to shrink it to make it go in with less force.

Khanson, sorry, I had missed this reply, but got this thread mixed up with another. 2M was kind enough to point me back to the right thread.

I would love to be able to get that damaged cover from you. Whether or not I can use the bushing, I will still be able to see what the factory did.

If you would like to email me at duczupa@gmail.com, we can discuss any compensation or at least get you a shipping label.

Thanks so much!

Back