kick starter feels mushy

pahako

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have an 81 special. The electric start does not currently work and I haven't had time to figure that out yet. Not a problem because I have been kick starting the bike but, lately it seems to feel a lot softer when I kick it. It still starts but it doesn't feel right. Any ideas?

Thanks

Check you valves lately? Might have a tight one is not closing all the way...

I did adjust the valves according to my clymer. It was my first attempt at adjusting them, but it did not seem like to difficult of process and may be worth rechecking. Would anything else cause it to feel that way?

Thanks

It's amazing what a small turn of a screwdriver can do. I adjusted the clutch and that took care of the problem. It feels like I have compression again and it started on the first try.
Thanks for the help. This forum is a great wealth of information for those of us learning.

So I decided to try and fix the electric start by tightening the tension starter clip spring with a vise. Drained the oil, took off the right cover for the first time and discovered I had to take off the clutch plates to get to the spring. Loosened the screws then pulled off the pressure plate and friction plates. Next I discovered I needed a special tool or an impact wrench to loosen the center nut. Next day I thought since I didn't have the right tool or impact wrench I decided to put it back together, and kick starting wasn't so bad after all. Plus there are still carb issues I needed to take care of to get it running better anyway. Now when I pulled the friction plates off, I pulled them off all together so I could put them back on the same way I took them off. I never took out the push rod or ball bearing. I simply put the plates back on, then the pressure plate, put the cover on and filled it up with oil again. Gave it a couple of kicks and didn't feel any resistance. Went to the left side to adjust the clutch, loosened the lock nut, and the screw seemed to want to go in further than it was previously before it would bottom out. Turned it in till it started to bottom, then turned it back out 1/4 turn and tightened the lock nut. Oh yeah. I did loosen the cable first before adjusting. Still no resistance on the kick starter, and the clutch feels real tight, and not right at all on the handle bar lever. Just wondering what I could have missed putting the plates back on and putting it back together.

Did you take care to line up the dot(on the basket) with the hole on the pressure plate?

I guess I didn't even notice them. There was no mention of them in the Clymer I have. Is there some where I can go to see a picture of these details?

Ya know, I was just looking at this page yesterday. I didn't make it down far enough though to see what what I needed to see. Thanks for the reply, hopefully this will take care of the problem I created.

Got it back together the right way. All is well again, and the clutch seems to be working even better than before. I think I'm getting adjustment thing down. On to the next problem.

Back