led running/turn signal

pahako

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have been using led turn signals for a while now with no issues. I recently got some new ones that have 3 wires so I can have running lights too. I thought they would be simple, just put two wires where the previous ones where, and connect the third wire into the tail running light. Tail light is also led. I started in the rear of the bike and haven't even got around to the front yet. I turn on the key and both rear signals light up with the tail light like they should. When I turn on one of the turn signals, both rear turn signals begin flashing, only opposite of each other like a police light. I have been using the LF1-S flasher, and am not sure if it has gone bad or what. Also I have it wired correctly for leds, for the indicator to work when the signal is on. I did put a new (slightly more powerful coil) on earlier this year, and the flasher is not to far from it. I read somewhere hear it might effect it. Any thoughts?

I have my rear turn signal lights come on with the brake lights.It's not as simple as wiring your running lights to the turn signal light.You are getting feed back,I forget what it's called but there is a devise that has to be wired into the system.The same company you got the lights from should have that devise.

Yes, a hot coil will effect the flasher, I use the same flasher, relocate it farther away from the coil. I moved mine back on the front of the battery box. Extend the wires as needed.
The flasher isn't the problem. On your new lights be sure you have them hooked up right. If you have the ground and hot reversed it may be the problem.
I hooked up a trailer light converter into my bike when I was using the regular bulbs. Using the converter the signal lights worked as turns, running and brake lights. This worked well but the draw of all those bulbs on was too much. I converted to LEDS for the brake/tail and turns.
It didn't work with the LEDS. I used the brakes and somehow it back fed into the front right turn signal, Never did get it to work so I removed the converter. I tell you this because your wiring may be the problem.
Leo

Back