Left cylinder not firing?

alex f

Anything xs
Reaction score
Its an 82 with tci. Spark in both cylinders. Removed left side plug and bike starts. Tried starting off the left and nothing. Left side plug is black after a minute or 2 of idle. Also i can feel heat off the right side pipe but the left is cold (with a cold feeling exhaust) New plug was installed. Any ideas? To much fuel? Carb issue?

You may have seen spark, but maybe it's intermittent? Your dual output coil fires both plugs at the same time so you can swap the plug wires from side to side. I would try that and see if the dead cylinder changes sides. If it does then you most likely have a bad plug wire or plug cap, or a bad connection between them. If the problem doesn't change sides then yes, you may have a carb problem. Some causes of rich running would be incorrect float height, leaking float needle seat, or the choke not shutting off properly. In your carbs there is also a rubber plug over the pilot jet. It has to be there or the carb will run rich.

Nah issue stays with the cylinder. Also found my oil to be blackish and i have super low compression for some reason now. the exhaust does heat up a little when i give throttle. It sounds extreamly bad though.

Nah issue stays with the cylinder. Also found my oil to be blackish and i have super low compression for some reason now. the exhaust does heat up a little when i give throttle. It sounds extreamly bad though.
Hi alex,
low compression and black oil hints at a holed piston.
Mind you, the black oil could also say the bike is overdue an oil change.
Best case, lack of valve clearance. Head job case, burned valves. Rebore job, holed piston.
To check before pulling the engine rent a borescope to look down your plughole.

Exhaust valves are set to 6 and the intakes are at 4. Possibly blowing by into my oil? Oil was fresh about 2 weeks ago.

Hi alex,
low compression and black oil hints at a holed piston.
Mind you, the black oil could also say the bike is overdue an oil change.
Best case, lack of valve clearance. Head job case, burned valves. Rebore job, holed piston.
To check before pulling the engine rent a borescope to look down your plughole.
What exactly should i be looking for while looking into the plug hole? I see a build up of carbon but nothing else to mention.

Turn the engine so the piston begins to drop down and shine a light in there. Usually you can see a holed piston.
A compression test is needed as well as a leak down test if you feel the valves, rings and pistons are suspect.

Back