left signal works, left doesn't just clicks fast?

chrismd

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,
well i have a 78xs650E which is pretty original. basically installed a new harness since the original was burnt from the rectifier. i replaced the harness, but my problem at this point is that the left signal works, but the right doesn't and all i hear is the clicking from the flasher unit. the left hand control with horn, high & low was replaced purchased from MIKESxs. i did reconnect everything.
i also had other questions regarding horn only clicks and any idea regarding the wiring being tucked neatly inside the headlight bucket since this bike is original. it is an original headlight and read that the wires must not touch the back of the bulb housing. the motorcycle at this point is not running. i was in the process of rebuilding the carbs and change the mufflers of course with life my Mom requires care and i am seeing to that.
thank you

...my problem at this point is that the left signal works, but the right doesn't and all i hear is the clicking from the flasher unit...

That can happen if the right signal wiring is grounded somewhere. You'll have to isolate it by disconnecting/testing/reconnecting each right signal connector. Start with the connector in the headlamp bucket. If that connector is unplugged, and the flasher relay still clicks, might be a problem in the handlebar switch, or its wiring...

That can happen if the right signal wiring is grounded somewhere. You'll have to isolate it by disconnecting/testing/reconnecting each right signal connector. Start with the connector in the headlamp bucket. If that connector is unplugged, and the flasher relay still clicks, might be a problem in the handlebar switch, or its wiring...

thank you i will go back and try again.

Back