Little shy to share my hoopty, some really awesome looking bikes ! Heres my 83' first build!

good.jpg

DSCF5067.jpg

Nice! Are those ACTUAL copper bits or are they plated?

Also, copper on the end of the exhaust is not good, Heating copper emits poisonous gas, baaaad juju!!

Well learning that just bums me out as I've been considering building a set of copper pipes.

What about copper clad cookware, am I poisoning myself every time I cook?

copper cook ware is around because it heats up nicely and evenly. thats why older welders have a copper inner liner. not so much that way anymore. as far as copper pipes goes, ive never done it, but heard that they dont hold up to the elemets well at all. Id talk to an expert first. maybe you can find a coating of somesort to protect it from corrording. Also hear that the heat doesnt do the seems any good. they can pull apart when hot. but im no expert at all. id check into it though as copper is not cheap.

copper cook ware is around because it heats up nicely and evenly. thats why older welders have a copper inner liner. not so much that way anymore. as far as copper pipes goes, ive never done it, but heard that they dont hold up to the elemets well at all. Id talk to an expert first. maybe you can find a coating of somesort to protect it from corrording. Also hear that the heat doesnt do the seems any good. they can pull apart when hot. but im no expert at all. id check into it though as copper is not cheap.

Thanks. You point to cost and I think that is the #1 reason copper is being used less in most applications.

I'm sure copper pipes would take a lot of upkeep as oxidization is a big issue but this particular bike won't be used often and isn't likely to get wet. It just so happens I have the pipe lying around.

I spent hours last night searching for references to toxic gases being given off by heating copper and the only thing I found is when copper is melted but as copper's melting point is much higher than the aluminum the engines I think we're all safe. Just be sure to use silver solder and not the cheap stuff. Or maybe brass rod?

OK, I don't stand to what I said, I was told by someone that it lets off gas if heated up enough. How much enough is, I don't know. Maybe it is when it's melted. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

use it and be damned with all the rhetoric. Silver solder the only way to bond it for this level of heat. Lead too low and brass too high a melting point.

The copper ends to my exhaust will be bolted to the pipes so won't need to be welding anything. I'm gonna go with my gut and keep em on. The bikes out here are awesome and this experience of building my bike has been both frustrating and rewarding. I've always been a motorhead and have always done my own wrenching but this is my first build. I give kudos to EVERYONE on this site who has helped me and the vast number of amateur and professional builders out here. Now back to that wiring!!

Love the big headlight! Seriously! Gives me train images standing up high like that. Looks as if you have a fine start!

Appreciate the kind words ReycleBill! I also love big headlights! And the great thing about building your own bike is that you can build it exactly how you like :D

I really wanted a 7 inch bottom mount headlight but couldn't find one for the life of me (does anyone know of any?) so ended up fabricating some bracket to get it to sit up nice and proud. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Last edited:
Appreciate the kind words ReycleBill! I also love big headlights! And the great thing about building your own bike is that you can build it exactly how you like :D

I really wanted a 7 inch bottom mount headlight but couldn't find one for the life of me (does anyone know of any?) so ended up fabricating some bracket to get it to sit up nice and proud. :thumbsup:

Cheers

The beauty of the 7' headlight is that 7" LED truck lamps will fit it http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/tlc27270c.html lowering the pull on your charging system.

And maybe someday maybe you'll gey lucky and find one of these in a junkyard: http://www.gorecon.com/product.php?...-LED-Projector-Headlights-Jeep-Wrangler-07-14

Back