I like it Spike! You're running earlier tank and side covers? Looks good! Here's the one I'm riding. Not sure what to do with it. Just got it where I could get it tagged. I guess I'll just ride it!

Attachments

• my6502.jpg
    my6502.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Awesome twindallas! Yup spring is almost here, it's time to ride!

Actually that's the stock tank and side covers. I'd really like to find an xs1 or xs2 tank tho!

.....but I'm not having too much luck finding the early Thruxton bars, only the latest renditions.

I do like the M-bars and have found flat and Norman Hydes which have a slight rise which I believe I want for comfort. Can you help with some links and I can see if I can get a 7/8" set in the US?

Hi Glenn,
For Thruxton bars try George Hopwood at www.hoppybikes.co.uk/saleitems.htm.
For M-bars there's the obvious www.normanhyde.co.uk.
I've not tried these on an XS nor have I owned a pair so if you do contact these guys ask about the dimension of the centre straight section as Triumph mounts are set a little closer together. If those bars are no good you may want to look at classic Royal Enfield bars turned upside for the Thruxton look and vice-versa. Once again check that centre measurment. Or 'straight' Vincent or Norton bars (similar to drag bars) but they may touch your tank on full lock.

Having said all that, in those links you posted I notice that they are mounting their Ace/Clubman bars incorrectly and if you initially did the same then then the grips will be higher but way too far forward. Clubman bars were developed for the Clubman racing classes where clip-ons were not allowed. They were orientated to position the 'handles' and grips more or less where clip-ons, if used, would otherwise be, i.e. a little way down the fork legs. Why not try 1" or 2" drop clubman bars positioned downwards before trying other types; you may be suprised.

Last edited:
Thanks again Nomad,

I did way too much searching last night and even got up in the wee hours this morning considering what to get, sitting on the bike mocking up bar position with a carpenter's ruler. I narrowed my choices down to either the NH mustache bars or "Euro" bars with a low rise. I just ordered the ones below a few hours ago and figured they were cheap enough and worth a try. I didn't want to get the Hyde bars for the price, not knowing if they would work for me or not. I like long rides so comfort for me is important.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/7-8-inch-chrome-euro-handlebars.html

Thanks for your comments and help!

Will a 81 clutch engine motor fit on a 79 motor without modifications?
does a bear crap inthe woods ?:laugh::laugh:sorry couldn't resist ...:wink2:

you will get a better response posting in a tech section or at least starting your own thread on this subject. This is a gallery thread for showing off our bikes and your post is not going to show up here .
I take it you are asking about putting a 81 clutch in a 79 engine yes ?

hey no worries I'm sure its not a problem.

Its just that I thought you would get more folk viewing your post if you started a fresh thread .
Nice pair of bikes by the way :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Changed the bars yesterday and updated my post, moving the pics to my album. I like these Euro bars from DimeCity better.

Back