Let's See Your Garages

Looking for garage ideas for this spring to get my plain jain builder basic garage up to par. Lets see what you got.
................................. hi i,m in australia,,, and the house i purchased came with a 20ft wide x 30ft long fully wired garage with a full workshop pit wich is great ,,i regularly use it,,as well as that it also came with a full work bench which is 20ft wide and has 2" gal posts in the concrete,,, it as solid as hell,,, i have put a smallish bench grinder mounted and also a 4" vice .. i would like a 6" vice later on ,,, and now theres a lot of crap all over the whole bench,,,,but stuff i want to keep,,,, regards oldbiker

Here's a few pictures of mine, first the old shed, then being rebuilt, moving in and last, but not least, full of water.

Attachments

• a old shed 3.jpg
    a old shed 3.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC09527.JPG
    DSC09527.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC09522.JPG
    DSC09522.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 190
  • bike shed 169.JPG
    bike shed 169.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 200
  • bike shed 101.JPG
    bike shed 101.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 199
  • bike shed 1.JPG
    bike shed 1.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC09517.JPG
    DSC09517.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 208
Here is what my shop looked like a couple years ago. I had to laugh when i just watching it because its changed so much since I took this video. I now have in there a 4x4x6 oven, Pro powder gun, Blast cabinet, Quincy air compressor and a ton of other crap. Guess I need to update my pics/video

Check out garagejournal.com for some great ideas on workshop layout and construction. I posted one of my favorites in the video thread in the lounge area of this forum (currently last page IIRC). It is a build of both his car and his workshop, very ingenious.

Basic requirements for a motorcycle garage:

1. Concrete floor.
2. Plenty of light.
3. Separate heating and AC. (can't use heat / AC from house)
4. Insulated walls and door. (see #3)
5. Overhead extension cord(s).
6. Garage door opener with remotes for each bike.
7. Theft alarm system.
8. Two concrete anchors in the concrete floor to tie the bike down when testing at high revs.
9. Tool chest on wheels.
10. Storage cabinets. Lots of them.
12. Shelves. Lots of them too.

Essential tools, equipment:

1. Air compressor.
2. Drill press.
3. Grinder.
4. Small lathe.
5. Floor jack.
6. Leak down tester.
7. Compression gauge.
8. Timing light.
9. Impact screwdriver.
10. Torque wrenches.
11. Vise.
12. Shop vacuum.
13. Every imaginable hand tool.
14. Shop manuals for each bike.
15. Computer with internet access.
16. Fridge for the beer.
17. Microwave for the dinner that got cold while you were screwing with the bike.

Last edited:
My space... Might be moving out soon tho... :(

Damn... Is that a BMX ramp (can't imagine it's a skate ramp with the carpet...)?

Pete, great list. I'm ahead, I've got the fridge with beer in it already :D Might have to move the wifi router closer my access is spotty. Or I'll just hack into the neighbor's.

Is it ok to point the bike towards the door when no anchor points are available for high RPM testing?

Damn... Is that a BMX ramp (can't imagine it's a skate ramp with the carpet...)?

Pete, great list. I'm ahead, I've got the fridge with beer in it already :D Might have to move the wifi router closer my access is spotty. Or I'll just hack into the neighbor's.

Is it ok to point the bike towards the door when no anchor points are available for high RPM testing?

Sure...just make sure it's open...:doh:

Check on the list Pete, but what about the popcorn machine, pinball machine, big screen TV, a self contained paint booth, automatic parts washer, a caustic hot tank large enough for two whole big block V8's + an industrial dish washer plumbed with the hot tank fluid, and a 500lb welding table with 10K lb casters and custom tooling attatchments... and my list keeps growing... :D

Back