Lighting problems after PMA install

gapper

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I have searched hi and low but have not been able to find the info to help.

I installed a pamco and had it all working, headlight works . I then go about the PMA install. I got the kit from Hugh(just did not have time or patience to part it, and hope for best)

So I follow instructions and check on here for lots of useful info. One thing that is missed is the neutral safety wire. I only noticed after I started it up. So I simply removed the wire from the harness and installed it. So I can once again tell when I am in neutral. But I noticed that headlight does not come one.

I checked fuses and all are good. Went thru all tests I can find and nothing helps. Try to by pass rlu and it works! Then I put seat on and get ready to go and nothing.. Can not get light to come on. I try again tonight and I get light on for a bit but on high, no low beam, switch won't change it to low beam. Have been checking all wiring and all seems good. But could it be the headlight relay? And were is it? Found the starter cut out, side stand safety ones, but not the headlight relay? Is it under tank?

Any thoughts on is would be great.
:banghead:

With a stock 83 the headlight is turned on by the Safety Relay (Headlight Relay), on the right side of the bike. The stock alternator had a yellow wire that operated the SR coil to switch on the headlight. If you had a healthy charging system, 14 volts AC from the alternator would get the headlight on.

I'm not familiar with how the PMA is wired. Now with your stock alternator gone, where does the SR coil gets its voltage? Perhaps the PMA also supplies voltage to the SR??

Power for the headlight comes into the SR on the red/yellow and goes out on the blue/black. You could try jumpering those 2 wires.

not knowing which color wires you have, I would just bypass the safety relay completely. Ralph Nader era regulations suck ballz.

hmm yes i will try the r/y and b/bl jumper.. not sure hope it will work
all other lights are working... kinda nice to have a fully functioning charging system..
can't wait to go for a long ride now and see how much better it preforms

longer legs and more spark should help nicely with fuel milage...

OK just tested the wiring... no power to the rlu. no idea what is going on now as all fuses are good and power to them.
pma puts power directly to battery does not connect anywhere else.

thinking that it should connect to the lighting circut some where to power up the rlu or aty least the headlight. only have hi/low on light switch no off but like to have them on in the day time so not a big deal if i have to wire direct...

If you connect the red/yellow and the blue/black at the safety relay, that should give you voltage at the blue/black of the RLD, which should then give voltage at the blue/yellow of the RLD.

Ok I have tried everything I can thing of. I jumpered the red/yellow with the blue/black and I have got lights, but for some reason it is a huge drain on charging system. So I am thinking of jumping past the rlu to see if that is the drain on the system.
I thought that it was just plug and play... I can see from the way it is wired that no power goes to the rlu .
Hope that Hugh gets back to mee soon, I can't be the first person to run into this problem..

Kowa bunga dude!
Finally got my headlight working!
I had to by pass the RLU and I also had to by pass the headlight safety relay as well. So i had to short the red/white and the blue/black at the safety relay . So now headlight comes on with the key but it works so that is very good!!

Thanks to RG and XSLeo for all the help! Will have to by RG a beer or two if I make it to the Big city some time...

what do you mean that you had to short the red\white and the blue\black at the safety relay..are u talkin about the starter relay...I dont understand the term ..short?..any help would be great!!!..im a newbie to this wirin terminology..I having the same problem with my tc bros kit..but no headlight or gauge lights at all..

Last edited:
When you put a PMA on your bike there is no connection for the yellow wire to the safety relay. The safety relay also is the headlight relay. When it gets power on the yellow wire it trips and stops power to the stsarter relay and sends power to the RLU to power the head light.
To get the healight to work you jumper the red/white to the blue/black at the safety relay and the blue/black to the blue/yellow at the RLU.
This sends power straight to the headlight dimmer switch.
Another thing you can do is run a yellow wire from one of the yellow wires os the PMA stator to the yellow wire of the safety relay. This will supply the voltage nessary to trip the safety relay so the bikes electrics work like stock.
Leo

I have a 1983 650 Yamaha heritage. the charging system went out. Installed the pamco charging system Now I had to go to pamco pete and put in the cdi system, I turn the key on and no head lights, No turn signals , Now what? It does not make sense with everything taken off and just doing the system up-dates-trying to figure out-what gives the power to the head light and turn signal. I see all the wires on the harness that is being not used, what is going on here. I have a chunck of money in the system and do not want to give up.

Pamco is an ignition system,. 83 Heritage has a factory electronic ignition system, (TCI), the igniter unit is under the battery box and the pickup is on the stator.

If your confused about what you have post pics of everything, it helps to get to the bottom of your problem quicker. Your post is confusing to sort out and give a definitive answer to

Last edited:
Pamco is an ignition system,. 83 Heritage has a factory electronic ignition system, (TCI), the igniter unit is under the battery box and the pickup is on the stator.

If your confused about what you have post pics of everything, it helps to get to the bottom of your problem quicker. Your post is confusing to sort out and give a definitive answer to

Sorry for the confusion. The original system on my 1983 Heritage 650 (Rotor-stator) went out. I replaced the left side with a pamco charging system. Then I had to go to the pamco E advancer with the sensor and plate. I also had to get the advancer rod with the bushings. I have that installed.( cam side) Purchased off of Pamco pete"s site. When I removed the rotor and stator and replaced it with the pamco charging system, I had to replace the stator that only has four wires. With the original parts removed, it left a wiring harness that the original wires (from the stator rotor system) went into-not being used. When I turn on the key, there is no head light, no turn signals. The rear tail light comes on. I am guessing the harness that is not being used will have to be checked out and see what wires needs to be re wired for power to the head lights and turn signals. If this is still confusing, I will get pics when I get back to the garage. thanks

Pamcopete does not sell a CDI system.
What do you mean the charging system went out? Can you be a little more specific.

The rotor and stator went out. What happened is the main fuse kept blowing. I pulled the left side cover off and removed the stator. It has wear marks from the stator. I removed the whole set up and put on a pamco charging system, The kit required to replace the electronic box under the battery (rectifier). It has three wires that plugs into that box, I think I mentioned 4 wires in the other thread, but there is 3 wires connected to the box, That leaves the original wiring harness plug not being used. Now I do not have power to my head light and turn signals. Since the original parts had to be replaced with the pamco charging system, I had to get the Pamco E advancer for the 83 model. I am guessing there will have to be wires in the harness that is not being used, I will have to find a way to wire into the system for power for the head lights and turn signals. Sorry if this is confusing, will try to get pics when I get back to the garage, thanks

First off you need to get a manual and read the chapters relating to the CHARGING SYSTEM and then read the IGNITION SYSTEM

PAMCO IS NOT A CHARGING SYSYTEM...............................IT IS AN IGNITION SYSTEM.

A STATOR AND ROTOR IS THE CHARGING SYSTEM

YOU CANNOT REPLACE A STATOR AND ROTOR WITH A PAMCO.

You do not know what you are doing or are very confused about what the components are. Your posts make no sense.
Post pics of what you have done. This will enable us to see what you are doing and we can help

This is your Charging system
XS650SJ Service manual Charging System 1.jpg XS650SJ Service manual Charging System.jpg
Stator and rotor is the AC Generator. Combined Reg/Rect Is where it says Regulator.

This is your Ignition system
XS650SJ Service manual Ignition System 1.jpg XS650SJ Service manual Ignition System.jpg

Get an online Manual from here.............https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/xs650-xs650sj-service-manual/

Full set of XS650 Service Manuals and Parts manuals.........https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/tag/manual/

Last edited:
First off you need to get a manual and read the chapters relating to the CHARGING SYSTEM and then read the IGNITION SYSTEM

PAMCO IS NOT A CHARGING SYSYTEM...............................IT IS AN IGNITION SYSTEM.

A STATOR AND ROTOR IS THE CHARGING SYSTEM

YOU CANNOT REPLACE A STATOR AND ROTOR WITH A PAMCO.

You do not know what you are doing or are very confused about what the components are. Your posts make no sense.
Post pics of what you have done. This will enable us to see what you are doing and we can help

This is your Charging system
View attachment 92459 View attachment 92460
Stator and rotor is the AC Generator. Combined Reg/Rect Is where it says Regulator.

This is your Ignition system
View attachment 92461 View attachment 92462

Get an online Manual from here.............https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/xs650-xs650sj-service-manual/

Full set of XS650 Service Manuals and Parts manuals.........https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/tag/manual/

Sorry for the confusion. Everything is at the other garage and I was trying to remember what I had ordered. After taking all the original parts off. I installed a complete xs650 PMA system. (sorry it was not a pamco) This is the charging system for the bike. That takes care of the charging side of things. Then I had to go with the Pamco e advancer. I thought it was another pamco part but I was wrong, I purchased the pma system from hughes handbuilt. That takes care of the charging system. That is where I had to go with the Pamco E advancer.(Pamco Pete) I was in a hurry trying to get something figured out when I got home and screwed up on the info, With all that I have installed, I will go back into your links and see what I can do to get the head lights and turn signals working, The issue I have is with what I installed with the PMA system leaves the factory plug not in use. Yes the pamco is the ignition system. My screw up on the info.
Thanks

Back