light's front and rear not working, HELP!

kevski

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a stateside 79 2f, I have replace the harness and the handlebar controls with new ones from Mikes XS, but the front and rear lights don't work,
The bike runs,
I have a new pma and getting 14.5 volts at the battery.
Horn, signals, stop light, and neutral light work fine.
There is power at the light fuse, in fact all the fuses are ok.
I don't have a flasher cancelling unit but have one on order.
Naturally as I now have a pma a couple of things are different I have used the switched live for the old regulator on the new Reg/Rectifier.
The yellow that goes to the safety relay I have tried sending a current down but nothing changed.
All ground wires have very goog contacts.
I am keeping the bike pretty much as it came out of the factory except for 3 things which are the pma, exhaust and a new Boyer Bransden ignition all of which are installed and working fine.
Any help will be much appreciated.

The tail light gets it's power from the blue wire of the key switch.
The yellow wire that comes up from the stock stator sends power TO the safety relay.
Your bike was set up so the safety relay not only turns the starter off but turns on the headlight.
With your PMA it has no yellow wire to send power to the safety relay as did the stock system. Run a wire from one leg of the stator to the safety relay yellow wire. Hook into the stator wires between the stator and reg/rec.
Leo

Thanks for that reply Leo, thought about that wire myself today it's an ac current, I will give that a go my next time in the garage.

I have sorted this issue out, two issues first one as I have installed a PMA it denies the safety relay a 11v ac current to operate enabling the headlight to operate, I solved this by cutting the red/yellow and blue/black wires and joining them together, by-passing the relay I did this on the relay tail and not the main harness always easier than butchering the main harness, downside is the headlight comes on as soon as key is turned, cest la vie.
The tail light is served by the light checker which I can assume is not working properly, therefore I shall test it by running a by-pass through the blue/yellow to blue if the rear light operates as it should I will know the checker is at fault and will source a new one, I know a lot of people just do away with them but that means running more stray wiring and that looks shoddy.

I have sorted this issue out, two issues first one as I have installed a PMA it denies the safety relay a 11v ac current to operate enabling the headlight to operate, I solved this by cutting the red/yellow and blue/black wires and joining them together, by-passing the relay I did this on the relay tail and not the main harness always easier than butchering the main harness, downside is the headlight comes on as soon as key is turned, cest la vie.
The tail light is served by the light checker which I can assume is not working properly, therefore I shall test it by running a by-pass through the blue/yellow to blue if the rear light operates as it should I will know the checker is at fault and will source a new one, I know a lot of people just do away with them but that means running more stray wiring and that looks shoddy.

If bypassing the light checker gets thing right just throw the light check in the trash and forget about it.
It's more of a PIA than a help.
Leo

Back