Loading XS onto a trailer. Low and long bike!

pristic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Guys,

Heading a few hours up north with my wife and kids on Friday and taking the XS. Another 4 bikes up there (all XS's) waiting for a nice ride around the coast.

Now, my bike is low and long - well for my trailer anyway.
End to end it's 2300mm and my trailer is a box trailer and is 2400mm DIAGONALLY.

Any tips on loading and strapping her down?
Only time she has been in a trailer was when she was in a million parts.

I have ratchet tie downs and can buy whatever is best but this is the trailer I am stuck with.
Worried about ;
1. The loading as I push her up the frame grabbing the top of the ramp. Seen that many times.
2. The angle. When loaded she will have to sit diagonally. Well I guess I can keep it diagonal and just strap front and rear. Might be fine actually.

Any tips tricks?

Thanks,
Peter

Posted via Mobile

I would probably load it straight in.screw-down a 2x10 plank long enough for the bike to sit on. Just let it hang out the doors a little bit. Bungee the doors shut as much as possible. Rap some plastic tarp around the backside of the bike. This is what the carpet guys do with their van loading long roll of carpet. make sure you check your wheel bearings for Grease and you got a spare wheel . have a safe trip

Ratchet straps will be fine. Compress about 2/3rds of the available travel on the front. If you have rear suspension compress it by about 1/2. If no rear suspension tie off the rear in two directions. Keep an eye on the mirror to make sure the rear doesn't shift to the side, or block both sides of the rear tire to prevent it's shifting. I like to use "soft straps" to keep the tie down hooks from beating up the shiney stuff.

roy

That's an idea!
I've got just the plank!

How about loading? Getting a lowered bike over the hump.
I can just see the frame catching the trailer/ramp "hump" :-o

Pete

Posted via Mobile

Ratchet straps will be fine. Compress about 2/3rds of the available travel on the front. If you have rear suspension compress it by about 1/2. If no rear suspension tie off the rear in two directions. Keep an eye on the mirror to make sure the rear doesn't shift to the side, or block both sides of the rear tire to prevent it's shifting. I like to use "soft straps" to keep the tie down hooks from beating up the shiney stuff.

roy

Thanks Roy. That's good! Didn't think to 'block' the rear but will now!
It's a rigid rear so no springs.

Ill get her staying in there. Getting her in is the issue at this stage I guess. Hmmm

Posted via Mobile

Back the trailer wheels into a low spot. reduces the angle at the top of the ramp. I load XS's in my van with a ramp all the time, no problem. If the angle looks "iffy" have some cardboard on that area to ease any "slide over" issues.

Thanks Gary,

Ok, I have a spot (the end of my driveway/gutter will work actually.
I have been watching fail videos of loading bikes and have now decided that a single (or 2 ramps) next to each other is still a risk... what I will do it put 3 next to each other, that way when I push/coax her up wheels will track the middle ramp and I have a solid area on each side for my feet...

Good stuff... will get her up, maybe take a few pics too :D

Pete

Normally going in I have a seller anxious to help it "go away"

Unloading at home with a "no brakes" bike can be trickier. I often have to resort to the block the rear wheel with my foot slide the foot back a bit let the rear wheel stop on it again. repeat. I usually keep a plastic step stool so I don't have to step all the way to the ground in one shot. Once or twice coming out it's gotten kinda hairy if the rear wheel heads towards the side of the ramp. I did the ride the bike in once, it worked, but was a bit too "risky" for me, I've seen those Dufustube videos too.

That's an idea!
I've got just the plank!

How about loading? Getting a lowered bike over the hump.
I can just see the frame catching the trailer/ramp "hump" :-o

Pete

Posted via Mobile

Be careful, take your time. Have a good long ramp so the angle is reduced and support the underside of the ramp. I managed to bash the sump plug on a rushed trip, caused a leaking sump plate... It really helps if you have some extra hands:bike:

Thanks where are we... if you leave now and swim over you could help me! My wife is 5 foot nothing and ill have my 5 and 7 year old kids kneeling under the ramp in case it breaks.

lol ill grab my neighbour I think... the dude is a monster and could probably life the whole bike onto the trailer himself... dont want to take him with us to unload it though :)

Thanks for all the replies guys. Im much more 'confident' with those little tips.
Dropping your bike loading onto a trailer after a year or so of building it wouldnt be fun at all.

Cheers,
Peter

sounds like what you need to do is to....

remove the trailer wheels ,load bike , lash to trailer, jack the front of the trailer ,refit trailer wheels :thumbsup:

If you are handy with the welder it should be easy enough to weld a small frame and either a mini hydraulic jack or a winding screw handle to the tow hitch of the trailer.

Have a look how this company has constructed the lifting part of their trailers. You could easily adapt that to your trailer.
http://www.easylifter.co.uk/hydra-trail.htm

I have a small boat trailer that I squared up. The bed tilts. I chain the front to limit the amount of tilt,and use a 2x6 as a ramp. I made a 4x4 about 2' long with carpet on top. I slide that under the frame. I do this so as not to compress the fork tubes,and risk blowing a fork seal. Ratchet the bike down, front,and back,and your good to go. took my bike all the way to Sturgis from Maine like this,and had no trouble.

Guys,

Some updates about the weekend!
Have some pics but will post later on.

Firstly, thanks for the help. I bought a folding ramp for the bike. It worked ok (I say OK cause I had some issues :(

First, getting the bike onto the trailer. It was catching on the kick stand - damn that stand annoys me and ill be modifying it ASAP!
I lean the bike to the right a little and push it up the ramp. All good
Have it in on an angle (front wheel into front corner of trailer and back wheel up against the side of the trailer. (Basically it stands up on its own without any straps)
I then strap the front lower triple tree using some soft straps I bought. Very good. Holds super. Push down the front end enough to put tension on and so if it bounces it doesnt slacken off the straps...
Throw another strap over the frame (just behind the seat) and ratchet that down. Right now, bike is pinned and wont budge...
I then use the excess in the straps I ratcheted down to tie the front wheel to the corner and the other to tie the rear wheel to the side.

Now, I go on the journey and the bike did not move a single millimeter! It was great.

Ahhhh, getting the bike off, I have NO good place, the driveway/rd, etc is all against me here. A couple extra hands helped, back it to the ramp, lift the rear a bit and its all good from there.

Go for a ride, spend time with the friends family and happy days.

Have to load it back on... bugger, much harder than before. Due to angles, etc.
Try using a mate and the stupid side stand catches- ok lift a bit, nup wont budge... the SPRING on the side stand was caught on the ramp... and bang - comes off... now we have a floppy side stand to content with also... anyway, drag the bike on, cable tie the side stand and home she went.

So gents, if you have a 4" stretch and 2" dropped hardtail ... and the standard mounted sidestand (no matter how much you modify it) watch out... it can catch and get in your way unless you have PERFECT conditions to load/unload.

When I got her home, late at night, I was on my own, unstrapped it, leaned a tiny bit and rolled off the ramp no problem at all... but the car was on an inclide (slight) and the trailer wheels were in a 'low spot' so the angle of the trailer was better.

NOTE: The ramp I bought has a nice curve on the top half to make loading/unloading better... it helped and if I didnt have that ramp it would not have worked at all!

Cheers,
Peter

Back