long delay before ignition warning light on

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
this is a strange one.
What would cause my ignition warning light to not light for up for 15 to 20 seconds after the ignition is turned on ?

it was too late to try to start up but I presume that it wouldn't start because there was no ignition light ?

Is it the safety relay delaying the ignition warning light ? or could it be due to dirty contacts in the ignition switch ? Most of the bike including the switches got a severe soaking for the past week when the cover blew off.

water does weird things> let it dry out and try again. prolly got grounded with water in a weird spot.

I just went thru this, sorta. I had to turn the key several times sometimes to get the nuetral light on. Even then sometimes as soon as the engine cought the light went out. Removed and bypassed the safety relay. Didn't fix it. Turns out it wasn't the safety relays. but the ignition switch. Dried grease on the contacts.

Wait, what ignition warning light?

sorry I always think of red lights as an ignition warning light........ its the neutral light as well isn't it doh!
Its only my third ride on this bike so I'd not yet worked that out:doh:

I just went thru this, sorta. I had to turn the key several times sometimes to get the nuetral light on. Even then sometimes as soon as the engine cought the light went out. Removed and bypassed the safety relay. Didn't fix it. Turns out it wasn't the safety relays. but the ignition switch. Dried grease on the contacts.

So its probably something to do with the ignition switch or the neutral switch and associated wiring ?.
thanks azman

I once took my bike for a quickie wash.
Rolled it out for drying.
A fist sized ball of orange foam spewed out of the cigar lighter.

Forgot to remove the lighter element and cork it...

Have you taken your meds today Twomany ? :wink2:

Whatever you're on ...I want some of it .
You have that brilliant but weird British sense of humour :D

A fist sized ball of orange foam spewed out of the cigar lighter.

Sounds like one of them there magic mushrooms!

My 73 has a similar issue with the headlight it starts and runs but sometimes I have to wiggle the key a bit to get the headlight to come on. Need to R&R the switch just haven't found my round tuit yet.

Sounds like one of them there magic mushrooms!

My 73 has a similar issue with the headlight it starts and runs but sometimes I have to wiggle the key a bit to get the headlight to come on. Need to R&R the switch just haven't found my round tuit yet.

I know the feeling.... all my get-up-n-go ......got up and went a long time ago.:laugh::doh:9o

It's possible that the neutral switch itself got some water in it. Remove it and bake it in the oven at 100F or whatever the lowest temperature is to drive the water out. Then, stake the top on to prevent it from happening again.

switch.jpg

Place the switch in a socket and use a small hammer and a dull chisel and gently stake it around the periphery as shown in the pic. This also prevents the opposite problem of oil leaking out. Use the socket for the oven treatment as well to keep the top up.

great idea Pete thanks :thumbsup:
Especially as the Wifes out at the moment :wink2:

' You're not putting those dirty motorcycle parts in my oven again... are you?' .....'.errrrrr no dear'

I'll do a continuity check on the wire and remove and check the warning light pod as well.
I've a feeling I am going to need to remove and clean the ignition switch if the inside of the horn/flasher switch is anything to go by:(

Last edited:
Neutral light is green. On the 79 it has two warning lights, one is the tail/brake light failure, the other is headlight failure.
Leo

right :doh:
lets get this straight then .

I have no handbook and I can see 3x warning lights.
Only the red light seems to work which comes on (eventually) when I turn the key to ignition . I assumed that this was the ignition warning light but others think it is not ?

The other warning light is white (presumably headlight main beam warning and the green light is for neutral and rear light failure yes ?.

On my 81 when I turn the key on, the only dash light that comes on is the neutral light.
My 75 is home wired, so that don't count. On that the neutral light is all that comes on, it has no warning lights, no light checker, no reserve lighting unit, no rear brake sensor.
Leo

right :doh:
lets get this straight then .

I have no handbook and I can see 3x warning lights.
Only the red light seems to work which comes on (eventually) when I turn the key to ignition . I assumed that this was the ignition warning light but others think it is not ?

The other warning light is white (presumably headlight main beam warning and the green light is for neutral and rear light failure yes ?.

If you have a '79 Special, I think the three lights are (From the top)
Orange= Turn
Red= Brake/Tail light warning
White= Headlamp failure warning
Then your Tach will have the Nuetral, and Highbeam indicators.

thanks brassneck and leo thats very helpful.

To be honest I had not paid much attention to the cockpit other than watch how fast I was going :laugh: I've only made 3x short runs on it so far a total of 10 miles

I will no doubt become more familiar with all the aspects of the bike.... as I tackle the various issues that crop up from time to time, especially electrical ones :(

I've decided to rewire the flasher circuit and fit an electronic flasher relay. I'll remove the self cancelling unit ,together with the bits from the flasher switch that link it to the self cancelling unit via the yellow/green wire.

First though I'm going to go through the whole system thoroughly and check everything as per xsLeo's guide .
My new flasher relays should come today and that may well be the problem :thumbsup:

don't ya just luvit when parts arrive next days post !:thumbsup:

I bet you all knew that the starter button assembly is identical to the horn button assembly :D My starter button fell out the other day and I was surprised you can still buy them seperately .

Attachments

• flasher relay & starter button.JPG
    flasher relay & starter button.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 166
Looking at that complicated XS650SF schematic in the background, it's a wonder you guys don't go bonkers.

On my 81 when I turn the key on, the only dash light that comes on is the neutral light....

On my 71 when I turn the key on, the dog starts barking.

I'd like to pull his fuse...

Looking at that complicated XS650SF schematic in the background, it's a wonder you guys don't go bonkers.

On my 71 when I turn the key on, the dog starts barking.

I'd like to pull his fuse...

:D:laugh::laugh: you kill me twomany ...you really do :D

78SE/79SF/79Special II gauges are the same and should look like these.

The 78/79 specials included an ignition/charging light into the tower brake/taillight. The light should come on when the key is switched on and when the bike is running the light should go out.

I haven't seen any reference to this in any manuals or wiring diagram.

Why it isn't coming on straight away i couldn't say, maybe connections in the switch or down closer to the Alternator. ...............Have you been through the loom and cleaned all the connections and grounds?...................... If the neutral light come on and the Ignition/brake/taillight light has a delay then i would think it has to do with the alternator, someone more electrically mined would know?

Attachments

• Photo106.jpg
    Photo106.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 191
Back