long delay before ignition warning light on

thanks for that skull...the bike's electrics certainly need a thorough going over as its not been used for 6 years at least!

I now suspect the ignition switch.
Yesterday I checked the flasher wiring and switch . I removed the cancelling unit and cleaned all contacts and connectors and replaced the relay. Eventually I got the flashers working .There was definitely bad connections in both the switch and headlamp bowl.

I have noticed that the red warning light occasionaly comes on immediately but mostly some seconds later and wiggling the key sometimes turns it off or on,... so I reckon water has got into the ignition switch.:wink2:

Still haven't found the neutral indicator .?:shrug:

sorry I always think of red lights as an ignition warning light........ its the neutral light as well isn't it doh!

78SE/79SF/79Special II gauges are the same and should look like these.

Still haven't found the neutral indicator .?:shrug:

Check the pic i posted (twice), and see if there is any difference to the one on your bike. If there is then they have been changed................... Your Neutral light is in the Rev counter...........If is not then the rev counter has been changed...............If the rev counter has been changed and the tower doesn't have a Neutral light, (as per pic), then it is not connected in any normal way. It may have been connected to another light.............You will need to work that out.

Attachments

• Photo106.jpg
    Photo106.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 137
Check the pic i posted (twice), .

thank you for posting the image but by the time you posted at 5.40pm last evening the bike had been put away for the night as we had a huge thunderstorm .
I'll check your image against my console this morning at the first opportunity.:thumbsup:

Patience sure isn't one of your virtues Skull. I work a 15 hour day.... every day of the week . I can't always break off from caring for my 93 yr old Demented Disabled Father to go out and work on the bike.:wink2:

I just post, have/had no idea about you personal situation, and the time difference is a factor .

Post #21 was the first time you mentioned you had no indicator light. Earlier, Post #13 when you mentioned the neutral light is green, i assumed you actually had a neutral light. The pic is for reference, i see a lot of confusion/differences between the posts.

78SE/79SF/79SII/80G Rev counter;

Neutral light wires, Sb (Sky blue), and Br (brown).
High-beam light Has Y (Yellow), B (black), wires in a small 4 prong coupling.
Gauge Lights x 2, L (blue), and B (black).
The coupling should match up in the headlight.

80 and later Rev-counter;

Has a high-beam indicator light, Y, only..........no neutral light.
Gauge light/s (L, B),and high-beam wire, (Y), are on one small 3 prong connector

It appears the 80 Gauges have 2 Gauge lights per gauge, and the Later 81-83 only have 1 Gauge light per gauge

Last edited:
well I checked this morning and you are right. The rev counter fitted to this bike has no Neutral warning lamp just a main beam lamp. :confused:

Looks like this bike is not quite as original as I first thought.:laugh:

It shouldn't be difficult to fit a small warning lamp into the lamp block or somewhere near.

Attachments

• xs650 speedo .JPG
    xs650 speedo .JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Speedo has never had any instrument lights in them Always the Rev-counter.

That's a 77/78 Standard Rev-counter on your bike. The gauge 2many posted is a very good price and you'll get half your money back selling yours. May be less hassle to buy that and sell yours.

A How to

1; Remove the gauge from the chrome cup
2; Remove the glass and Bezel......... have a "Gauge Glass Removal" tutorial in my Albums to get at the green case
3; Remove the rev-counter from the cup, (green one in the pic),

The 76-78 Standards used the same cup, 76 had 3 dash lights 78/79 had 1 or 2 depending on where the bike was sold.
The mounting points for 3 dash lights are in the cup and they were drilled out for the year of the bike.

May be able to get a light from THESE GUYS for the neutral light, drill a hole in the Rev,counter face plate and mount. run the wires through a new hole drilled in the Green cup.

THIS MOB might be better...................Both are from your country

1st pic; should be the same as your REV counter, (77/78),.......... High-beam indicating light

2nd pic; is the rev-counter gauge case, (76), with 3 holes drilled out for the 3 instrument warning lights................. High-beam/neutral/brake-lining warning light.

Attachments

• DSCF7775.JPG
    DSCF7775.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Photo111.jpg
    Photo111.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
don't ya just luvit when parts arrive next days post !:thumbsup:

I bet you all knew that the starter button assembly is identical to the horn button assembly :D My starter button fell out the other day and I was surprised you can still buy them seperately .
OKAY!!! My horn button has escaped along with most of the metal bits inside of that switch only. The rest of that h/bar switch assembly is OK as far as I know..........so where to get that horn button and contacts and probably thr spring too?

Back