Longer (than 13") shocks?

poorman9

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I bought a terribly chopped XS and have been trying to restore it back into a respectable ride (this has been my inspiration).

Turns out in my fit of fabrication I've made the rear loop on the frame either a couple inches too short or a couple inches too low. It looks nice, and I've already sent a seat pan off to upholstery so there's no going back, but if I really push down on the rear of the frame It gets dangerously close to the back tire (which is now a 19" and not 16")

I bought Omar's NOS Redwing springs for $99, it says on their site they're 13" I measure more like 13.5" but either way I think I need longer shocks as I'm not sure how else to give my rear tire more clearance.

Any ideas for longer shock with the same eye mounts? Dirt bike shocks? Or is this not a good idea? I'm not sure what else to do.

Here's some pictures -

The chop job

before.jpg

Fab

during.jpg

Fab Continued

after.jpg

Finished (with a CB750 fender sitting on the tire)

after2.jpg

With an unmodified stock Standard frame, basic mods for handling include installation of shocks with eye-to-eye free length of 13-1/4" to 14", lifting the rear from 1/2" to 1-1/4" over stock height. Since you've altered the upper mounts, you'll need to go taller than that if you want your scoot to dance. The Progressive Series 14 is my favorite in the moderate price range. Get advice on spring selection for your bike and rider weight from a responsible vendor like 650 Central.

My rear loop is cut down about like yours is and I think I have another 1.5 to 2 inches of clearance. I can't tell you exactly because my empty frame is sitting on the floor waiting to be cleaned up and painted. I set mine up with stock Hinckley Bonneville shocks cause I had a new set laying around. If my memory is correct they are 13.5". A set of Thruxton or Triumph Scrambler shocks should be 14.5".

Okay, those a couple ideas to look into. Anybody know if shocks off of a TT or XT 500 would be longer? I think they might be 14.25" can anybody confirm?

IDK aout the TT/XTs but I got some 14 inch Redwing Hammerheads off ebay.

I bought a terribly chopped XS and have been trying to restore it back into a respectable ride (this has been my inspiration).

Turns out in my fit of fabrication I've made the rear loop on the frame either a couple inches too short or a couple inches too low. It looks nice, and I've already sent a seat pan off to upholstery so there's no going back, but if I really push down on the rear of the frame It gets dangerously close to the back tire (which is now a 19" and not 16")

I bought Omar's NOS Redwing springs for $99, it says on their site they're 13" I measure more like 13.5" but either way I think I need longer shocks as I'm not sure how else to give my rear tire more clearance.

Any ideas for longer shock with the same eye mounts? Dirt bike shocks? Or is this not a good idea? I'm not sure what else to do.

Here's some pictures -

The chop job

before.jpg

Fab

during.jpg

Fab Continued

after.jpg

Finished (with a CB750 fender sitting on the tire)

after2.jpg
Wat did the 19 inch rear wheel cum off of or do u no

If your rear subframe actually is 1 or 2" LOWER than the stock subframe, then the swing arm already angles down more than stock with oem length shocks.
That means adding another 2 inches of shock length will cause serious chain rub on the top side of your swing arm. On my stock framed -77, 346 mm Ohlins shocks cause quite a bit of chain rub already. Due to the small rear sprockets necessary for sensible gearing, this is a real problem when modding any XS.
Like it or not, the best solution may be to start over again with a new rear subframe and seat.

I'm running 400mm online on the rear with OF sprockets . I mean it's close it really is but as long as ur chains snugged where it needs to be it's all good no rub especially once I get my fat ads on there lol but I'm planning on going to GPZ mod this spring any ways

I'm running 400mm online on the rear with OF sprockets
400mm sounds far too long.
:umm:
I just recently mounted up shocks approx 13 3/8 + eye center to eye center and they seem about as long as could be without chain issues
-R

Attachments

• 20200106_150657.jpg
    20200106_150657.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 213
  • 20200106_150752.jpg
    20200106_150752.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 156
  • 20191217_133210.jpg
    20191217_133210.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 204
The ones I'm using have to air resivor on them so there fully adjustable coil over air shocks and there 400 mm . Don't take me wrong with out any weight on suspension yea it runs but once I sit on it and as long as u keep a eye on ur chain tension ur good or u can use a chain tensioner backwards and put it on the top run of chain if u really wanted 2 i recon

Back