Looking for info on college in the UK

LuckyLeprechaun

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all, I am looking for information regarding going to college in the UK, and possibly about one college in particular.

I am a young man, 23 this August, from the US, Wisconsin more precisely, and am looking at attending Moulton College in Northamptonshire England for "Furniture studies". I don't know that much about college stuff at all, not to mention about college stuff in the UK which seems to be entirely different anyway, so I am looking for any help or advice people are willing to offer.

Here is the link to the program website: http://www.moulton.ac.uk/our-courses/further-education/furniture-studies

I have some questions also:
1. Does anyone know anything about Moulton College?
2. What are living costs like in the UK?
3. What are these "level 1, level 2, level 3" things all about? Are those just like the different years here(freshman, sophmore, etc)? Or are they stages of the degree(associates, bachelors, etc)?
4. I emailed the college about tuition, but they only responded with tuition for a "full time, level 3". Would levels 1 and 2 be cheaper, more expensive, the same?
5. Does anyone know if I would qualify for financial aid from the US or the UK?

I appologize if this post is kind of half-assed put together, but like I said, i'm not very familiar with the college scene, and am also not familiar with the UK, so I don't even know where to start with this. Any pertinent information you guys can provide would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

20 minutes from me...
UK colleges are not like those in the US , none of those 'society' things, much more laid back ..Like a 6th form school class..
Northamptons a pretty good place, loadsa live music pubs.
Living costs ; Beer £3.10 a pint. Petrol; £6 a gallon. Lodgings £350-£500 a month.
Stages 1,2 & 3 are different levels of 'skills' learning.
I as a foreign student you'd get any aid from the UK for tuition fees!

So it seems like at least i'd be in good company, lol.

XS1961: Not sure what a 6th form school class is, lol.

Apart from petrol, living costs don't seem too different, a pint around here can be from $2 to $4, and a VERY cheap single apartment is like $400 a month. Petrol here is "expensive" at $3.60 a gallon though, lol.

Ok, so that means after a "Level 1 certificate" course I would leave with some sort of paperwork/certification that I went for further education? And the same would be true for the higher levels? Basically: Every "level" I take, I get some sort of acknowledgement that I completed it? I'm just trying to understand better because here it's something like: Go to a tech school you get a Technical Certificate no matter how long the course is I believe, go to a university for 2 years to get an associates degree, go to a university for 4 years to get a bachelors degree.

The specific course at Moulton has 3 "levels", and each "level" is 1 year. So i'm trying to figure out if I have to go all 3 years to get a "degree", or if each year I would get some sort of certification.

Also, do you know where I could find information about the UK tuition assitance?

Every level gives you certification that you have completed a course or module the longer you study the higher certification. It's not going to be a degree course but will probably Be a recognised level for industry. You need to do a google search for overseas student funding in the uk for help/assistance also google student union uk and get contact details. Cost of living is higher in the uk student digs going to be £400 pr month. Basically uk prices are equivalent to US dollars eg $1 will be £1 for comparison but health service is free :). Fuel is expensive as are bikes compared to the us.

My bro is an engineering lecturer in the uk this is what he has to say hope it helps? Level 3 Diploma, studied over 2/3 years, is equivalent to three 'A' Levels. There is, generally, no funding available for study, anymore. Some young full-time FE students qualify for EMA (educational maintenance allowance - £30/wk), during term time only: but only if parents are on benefits, etc. HE students (i.e. HNC and above), not only receive no funding, but also must pay for the course: typical fees for a degree are £7k to £9k per year. Exception is Wales, where Welsh Governmment, currently, pays the fees for Welsh students to study for Degree.

Hi there

Sorry but EMA is no longer paid in England and level one to three courses are now only free for 16 - 19 year olds. As a foreign student you will definitely pay and probably quite a bit.

Until last year I was a lecturer at what is called in the UK a further education college (FE). It looks like Moulton is that type of college (there are others). I now work for the UCU (University and College Union) and deal with FE and HE (Higher Education) (Universities) so I think I can answer most of your questions or easily find someone who can. Send me an email (I've sent you mine in a PM) and I'll try my best to help you out.

The UK takes lots of foreign students every year so don't give up yet. I presume that going to college in the US would not be without cost?

Dave

Yep, I recieved your PM and have replied.

Going to college in the US is actually quite expensive depending on where you go. Colleges i've looked at have had yearly tuition costs that ranged from about $6,000 for a technical certificate to $30,000+ for a well recoginized private college. That's not necessarily what I would be paying, but that's what the base tuition is per year.

I don't really know how to explain a technical certificate, but it's probably like a level 1 or 2 FE. It's a certification that you know how to do the work, but it's not a diploma.

Back