Looking for the best spark plug when using a boyer ignition

pratstyle

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just like the title states . What are the best plugs for using a Boyer Ignition with round slide carbs

I would run the standard 650 plug. Sometimes you can use a slightly larger plug gap with a high powered aftermarket coil but that doesn't change the heat range of the plug required.

thank you.. do you have an idea of how long i can expect the plugs to last running open pipes and the round slide carbs.? and i believe its set up to be a waste burn as well..

Bikes are tough on plugs, much more so than cars. Electronic ignitions are easier on plugs but still, they're going to wear out quick compared to a car. I'd say if you can get 5 or 6K on a set, that's good. When I still had points in my 650, my plugs were wearing by 2K miles. Now with my Pamco, plug life has at least doubled but I probably won't run a set much past 5K. I always keep a new set on hand to compare to the ones I'm running. By doing this, you can see if any wear is occurring to the electrodes. 4 strokes wear their plugs very evenly so it's hard to tell if any wear is actually occurring unless you have a brand new plug to compare to.

Back