Low Down on bike inspection

Socopunk

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some inspection info?

My '73 TX650 has been title transfered to me and registration will be complete when I get a the bike inspected.

The question I have is, how strict are California inspections? Do they just check to see if the VIN's match? Do I need to have turn signals? stock pipes? Does the whole bike have to be stock?

I had to have one bike inspected because it came from out of state and all he did was check that its vin matched the paperwork and then he said "The lights work don't they?" and I nodded. Before that he wrote me a three day pass to ride it around with no registration. But it wasn't in California.

Check the state dmv website. They should tell you what the bike needs to pass.

The strictness of the inspection is a variable depending on the inspector his mood and how he perceives you and your bike. That's life on a planet full of humans, damn em anyhow. General rules with inspectors? Be nice, don't ask questions unless is he failing your bike, even then be cool and NEVER argue just clarify what he wants if it is not obvious. After all if he fails it, guess who you will be seeing again.

Don't know if Cali has historic plates available but that's what I'm gettin here in MD. Just have to provide an ins. policy number and they hand over a set of tags. No insp. needed and never have to go through emissions.

Don't know if Cali has historic plates available but that's what I'm gettin here in MD. Just have to provide an ins. policy number and they hand over a set of tags. No insp. needed and never have to go through emissions.

Agreed, see if You can get Antique plates. Here in Texas, no inspection required for an "antique" bike. Be polite. Dont be a Dick. I have tried it both ways, being a dick wont do any good! Of course, sometimes, being polite wont do any good. Bureaucrats need jobs too:(:

Back