Lower steering bearing

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the best way to get the lower steering bearing off the triple tree? I'm assuming that I have to do this before putting an Allz Balls bearing kit in the steering head.

Assuming you're changing over from ball bearings to tapered. Here's how I removed the race.
1. Gather tools, Skinny pick or screw driver, hammer, small board, cats paw or cold chisel or drift.
2. Use pick or screw driver to get under and stretch rubber washer over race.
3. Almost a 1/4" space left between triple tree and race to angle punch. I used a cats paw, because that's what I had handy.
4. Put upside down, rest top of stem on board to keep it from getting damaged. Give a few taps with hammer to punch, working around race to loosen it, and then it should just slide off.

Some pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_0770.JPG
    IMG_0770.JPG
    292.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0772.JPG
    IMG_0772.JPG
    291.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    243 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0780.JPG
    IMG_0780.JPG
    286.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0779.JPG
    IMG_0779.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0782.JPG
    IMG_0782.JPG
    257.8 KB · Views: 101
i used a air chisel. popped it rite off. strech that rubber seal that is under your old race though. it will stretch over. just dont stretch it further than u need to.

I removed the rubber dust seal, and then just use a punch or screwdriver to tap or pry the race. On my bike it came off very easily.

If you ever want to remove the new roller bearing races, you should file some grooves so that a punch has somewhere to tap on.

Attachments

• Grooves for future bearing removal R1.JPG
    Grooves for future bearing removal R1.JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 91
I used a little bar of steel about 3/8"x3" that I slipped into my pocket when I was in some machine shop or lab. Turn the tree upside down and use the bar and a hammer to tap around the circumference. It'll eventually come loose. Push the rubber seal out of the way of the bar. You can re-use the seal.

I didn't put in roller bearings though. I put back a stock race that was in better condition than the one I took off, the idea being to fix notchiness. If you don't have notchiness you ought to just grease what's there and put it back. Or you can replace all the 1/4" balls for next to nothing, if you want to. Then sell the alls balls set on ebay to some other goomer.

Back