I'll try to got a photo Jim - but she's buried in my "extra" shed right now as I figured with my knee replacement surgery coming up in about 4 weeks, it will easily be spring before I can get to it.

Lemme see what I can do....

Pete

I know I took all kinds of detailed reference photos of my sticker before trying to remove it.
Just in case I had to replace it.
FA180F86-BE57-44F1-8A7F-BAFD93D98345.jpeg
1A3C98C0-229F-4449-9574-C589E7588BA1.jpeg

Along with close ups from every angle.

No rush Pete..... at your convenience.

Hokey. Dokey - well, I managed to lever myself into the shed and I got two not very good photos of the ‘81 sticker. Sorry about that - it’s crammed full of welding equipment, XS650s, ST1300s and a CX500 plus gawd knows what Madam has jammed in there.

Anyhow, the sticker appears to be a fair bit longer than the earlier one on Mailman’s XS2 - the 12” mark on the scale in the photos is aligned with the bottom end of the sticker which is obscured by some wiring and a throttle cable. If I had to guess, I’d say that the dimensions are something like: 100 mm x 25-30 mm.

Now, keep in mind that my bike is a Canadian model and so it may very well have French as well as English on it and so it may be larger than a US sticker. I really couldn’t get a much better look at it than this - again, my apologies.

7D3A5AF1-E65E-4C53-8EFC-7079826AC23E.jpeg
FA08FCA4-3F52-4443-98C2-8FC0B66C240C.jpeg

Last edited:
Thinking ahead about getting my frame back, there are still some things I will need. The rubber inserts for my battery box being a couple. As I stated at the beginning of this project, ALL THE RUBBER WAS ROTTED on this bike. The thick rubber pad that the battery sat on was literally in crumbs.
5FBF601E-A1EC-462D-AD98-D21F25BA75FB.jpeg

These parts are becoming increasingly difficult to find. Especially the base pad.
I just purchased a NOS band on EBay.
4F5F5901-CD61-4521-81F9-AD2B096BEFAD.jpeg

And a used base pad from a wrecker on eBay. It looks to be in solid shape and when I get it, I’m gonna give it my patented rubber resto treatment!
11C22EB5-1A20-459D-A6FA-1786987539CF.jpeg

I was prepared to cut pieces of foam to wedge in around the battery, but now I can have original parts.

Yeah, different climates huh? Our hot dry weather is great for metal surfaces. My bike had almost no corrosion or rust. But rubber and vinyl and seat foam? Fugget about it!
I would trade you. My chrome rusted very badly. On a good note 75% of my rubber parts are in very good shape. Just a few of them.
39.PNG

Yes, your hot climate is tough on the rubber parts. I got a set of used carbs from down there and the butterfly shaft seals were hard as a rock, like plastic instead of rubber. In comparison, the original seals in my '78 carbs, which have spent their entire life up here in the cooler, wetter N.E., weren't bad at all. I replaced just the left one on each carb because it could be done without removing the butterfly plate, to see if it made any difference. It didn't so I never have replaced those original right side seals to this day.

PREPARING TO SET THE MOTOR

The frame is still at powder coating until around Christmas, so I have been spending a lot of time thinking about the logistics of the job. My single biggest worry is hurting my back, it’s not in great shape as it is. So I have taken inspiration from others here and decided some sort of hoist is in order. I think I researched every possible option and in the end I settled on this,
3A0CECC8-443D-4972-A72B-18E6639330E1.png

I’ve already ordered it and it’s on it’s way. Then I started thinking about how to hang it. I ran to the hardware store this morning and $15 later, I had a 1/2” x 6” eye bolt, two long metal straps, a piece of angle iron and a bag of bolts, nuts and washers.
0D59B872-3781-4C61-972A-FCA684B5B877.jpeg
The angle iron was 14 gauge, not as heavy as I would have liked, so I cut it in half and doubled it.
Then I bolted the angle iron to the side of a truss and used the two straps to create a triangulated bracing.
1C68354A-7BB5-4CC4-9BD3-B19B1B75182A.jpeg
3908B446-33FE-4AD3-9B1F-0B686053149E.jpeg
653352D4-FAE9-43AA-9EC2-5D5E077E1E89.jpeg

It feels super sturdy, I was hanging on it and it doesn’t flinch. I think I could hang my complete bike on it.
And this is all you see from below.
21E45F4C-2AFF-4E20-9095-91974DB541BD.jpeg

I also ordered a couple lifting straps, in case I want to use them to handle the frame.
8CE673BE-C78B-49C9-B622-7F9721CAE62E.jpeg

GETTING CLOSER!!! :cheers:
—Bob

While that should work for your project I would be thinking about something I believe someone posted somewhere else on this forum.
https://www.agrisupply.com/galv-doo...MI-fav98Cl3wIVheDICh1mRwAHEAYYByABEgJG0_D_BwE

A section of that track bridging several trusses and the hanger for a door adapted to hold the chain fall would work real nice and give you some freedom of movement side to side. Just be sure to cap off the ends so the door hanger can't come out the end!

I'm putting this idea on my to-do list for when I am released from the hand surgery I had a few weeks back. Right now SWMBO gets upset if I so much as try to fry up a couple burgers using my "good hand"!

I got my used rubber battery tray the other day. It was solid, but stiff and dirty after being subjected to battery acid , rust and corrosion for decades.
6E7DBE89-29FE-4397-8DEA-7F8B0E80DACB.jpeg
2730CB12-F782-4BB9-A49E-27601375EA3D.jpeg

So I gave it a little bath in the ultrasonic cleaner with simple green and water.
074C6E5B-621E-4AAB-B9F1-228DC9FFE729.jpeg

Followed by a hot soapy water scrub, dried it off and then put it in a zip lock bag and hosed it down with silicone spray and sealed it up for 48 hours.

I know not everyone agrees with this method but I sure get some nice results. It feels like brand new.

On another note, my Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner is developing cracks everywhere in the plastic housing. Still works though.
21D109BC-57A1-44B2-A725-F25D8638CCBF.jpeg

My other battery rubber part is hung up in holiday mail hell. Maybe it’ll arrive sometime this spring! :laugh2:

Holy smokes Bob - that battery tray looks superb!

I think you may have hit upon the secret of eternal life for rubber parts.
167653.bin

As for the H-F U/S machine - if it gets bad enough, I'd just fibreglas over the whole thing and keep using it till it dies.

Pete

While that should work for your project I would be thinking about something I believe someone posted somewhere else on this forum.

A section of that track bridging several trusses and the hanger for a door adapted to hold the chain fall would work real nice and give you some freedom of movement side to side. Just be sure to cap off the ends so the door hanger can't come out the end!

I'm putting this idea on my to-do list for when I am released from the hand surgery I had a few weeks back. Right now SWMBO gets upset if I so much as try to fry up a couple burgers using my "good hand"!

I believe that might've been me:

hoist.jpg

I put pieces of 2x4 spanning 4 trusses at right angles every 4 feet and bolted up through with 3/8ths threaded rod. I've lifted some stuff heavy enough to make me nervous and it's never moved.

Back