:laughing: Get her all new towels! She'll be happy, and you get all the "old" ones for the garage. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

You kid, but that's exactly what I do about every 3 years. New towels go in the downstairs bath, downstairs towels go upstairs, upstairs towels go to the shop. There is nothing finer than an Extra Fat-Ass size terrycloth bath towel for rags, and yes, photo backdrops.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments. The DPO huh? I like it! And as for the towels, that’s exactly my situation too. Wifey buys new towels and I get new shop towels! Win win!

I have some good second hand towels out in the shop, I'm just careful to find a time when SWMBO is going to be away from home for a few hours to sneak them into the house to run them through the washing machine. I am smart enough to not try washing any that are real nasty with grease or oil!

As for oven to heat things and dry paint I was smart when I built the garage to run wiring for stove then a few years latter bought new stove for house. Just try not to use the one in the garage too often when her car is parked inside during the winter.

View attachment 131182
Shhhhh.......you’re gonna get me in trouble! She’s still pissed at me for smoking up the house while I was baking the cylinders in her oven!

They do tend to get annoyed, dont understand why?
baking the cylinder 028.jpg

Ok, so the powder coating story continues here. Just to catch you up in case this is the only thread you read :D,
I’ve decided to forego spray painting my frame and powder coat it instead, for reasons too numerous to go through again.
After being informed that my VIN sticker would not survive the powder coating process, the first thing I wanted to do was to try and save my original sticker! I could get a duplicate made, but they’re OUCH! Pricey.
So I snuck into the Mrs. beauty supply closet and grabbed her blow drier and headed out to the garage. :whistle:
It really wasn’t hard at all to heat the decal up and remove it, it came off 100% intact.
850A06A1-8FE8-44E9-A47B-414E9CC4127F.jpeg
0881C66C-50F1-444C-A20B-836413FB3E36.jpeg
4FA16B35-D982-4BE8-BDAF-6F3D67F470C2.jpeg

I could reattach this to my finished frame if I really want to, I haven’t decided what I’m going to do just yet.

I was trying to figure out if Arizona had some sort of legal requirement to have them on the frame and this led to a
“Who’s on first? “ kind of phone call with a woman who worked for the dept of motor vehicles.
I explained to her what I was doing and then asked,
Me: Is it required to have the VIN sticker as long as I have the original stamped VIN numbers on the frame?
Her: Let me go check ( gone about 10 minutes)
Her: The VIN number has to be visible on the frame
Me: Oh, I know. What I need to know is, am I required to have the sticker also? The VIN is already stamped on the frame.
Her: It has to show, you can’t put a sticker over it.
Me: No, what I’m saying is the number is duplicated. It’s stamped on the frame AND it’s also on the VIN sticker.
Do I have to have both?
Her: It has to show, you can not put a sticker over it. ( Talking to me slow now, like I’m a slow witted child)
Me: Thanks ( Click)

Time to go to the powder coater. This place is in a really dodgy neighborhood, but it gets stellar reviews. The owner was this really nice old guy who promised me no disappointments. He prides himself on his workmanship and prep and said he does not want me cussing him when I go to reassemble my frame. He also surprised me by saying he does all of custom bike builders Paul Yaffe, and Iron Horse Choppers work as well as a number of custom car builders in the valley as well as race car builders and high end exotic sports car dealerships here in Arizona.
He took me in the back and gave me the ten cent tour , which I thought was kinda nice.
Here he is taking a photo of my VIN and also a side photo of it. These were later copied right to my work order.
623B87B4-7745-4122-9AFC-5009F6509418.jpeg

0E99439C-4DD5-4933-AFA2-528DE4B26B1D.jpeg

Here is their curing oven.
E41003A4-C400-4618-936E-CF828D16EE54.jpeg

I was asking him a little about their process and he told me it would be chemically degreased, then media blasted with iron oxide, then powder coated with a single stage gloss black. With any luck I’ll have it back before Christmas.
Man.....I get that frame back and I’m gonna have to do some REAL work!
Till next time,
Bob

Last edited:
Yaaay... you got it off intact. Now you got options.:D

It's been my experience that anyone willing to give you the nickle tour of their shop takes great pride in their work. Looks like you got a winner.

Yaaay... you got it off intact. Now you got options.:D

It's been my experience that anyone willing to give you the nickle tour of their shop takes great pride in their work. Looks like you got a winner.

Fingers crossed!

I always ask them to be careful around the vin stamp. They can lighten up on the powder just a bit so you can see the number. Did you find a place that will do a new sticker. I actually need one for mine since it was destroyed trying to remove it years ago. It would be nice to have one on the frame although not needed.
It was just wishful thinking that the misses would be gone for at least 4 hours.

I googled motorcycle VIN reproduction decals and found several places that’ll make one. But they weren’t cheap. Seems like the ones I found were either in Canada or England.

Leaving the fork lock in I see? They're pretty easy to remove if you have a key. They can only be withdrawn from the neck in the "open" position and with the cover plate removed.

Seems like the ones I found were either in Canada or England.

Where in Canada - can I help?

Frankly, I'd be temped to make nice montage of the original sticker alongside a large blow-up of it (for readability) set in a nice frame - and then put the reproduction on the bike in the stock location.

That enlargement and original would make a nice piece of "garage art", IMO.

Pete

Leaving the fork lock in I see? They're pretty easy to remove if you have a key. They can only be withdrawn from the neck in the "open" position and with the cover plate removed.

I never thought about it. Hopefully it won’t be a problem!

Back