I believe that might've been me:

hoist.jpg

I put pieces of 2x4 spanning 4 trusses at right angles every 4 feet and bolted up through with 3/8ths threaded rod. I've lifted some stuff heavy enough to make me nervous and it's never moved.

Man! I really like that set up. That just looks too handy! My set up will work for the job I need, but boy that really gives you some flexibility. BTW, my chain hoist arrived today! Woo!

Hey- that channel rig is really nifty Downeaster - very slick indeed!

As for weight, the XS650 engine weighs about 160 lb so I figure if I can swing off whatever lifting gear I use, the engine won’t be a problem.

The other thing is - just cut a couple of 2x4s to fit snug under your truss to which you’ve bolted your rig a couple of feet on either side of the hoist and you’ll cut the bending moment enormously.

Pete

Last edited:
Silicone boob, no Bob!
I have the parts for a track set up like that, might get the round tuit out at the next motor swap.

It would be a good idea, especially for a high volume parts guy like you. Your back will thank you!

Pics... or it didn't happen... :whistle:

Ok. Ok, I’ll get some tomorrow ;)

I believe that might've been me:
I put pieces of 2x4 spanning 4 trusses at right angles every 4 feet and bolted up through with 3/8ths threaded rod. I've lifted some stuff heavy enough to make me nervous and it's never moved.

I kind of figured the person I referred to would see that and fill in the blanks in my memory!

"...If it weren't for flashbacks, I wouldn't have any memories at all..." (I heard that in a head shop...I think...) :umm: My brother is almost 7 years older than me, so I grew up listening to his music. When all my friends were listening to "bubble gum music", I was listening to Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Robin Trower, etc. Yup. A product of the '60's and '70's, for sure :offtopic: Now, what were we talking about? Oh, yeah... that chin hoist oughta work just fine, as long as you pad the crap out of your frame (you won't want to scratch that brand-new powder coating!) And your roof truss-cross brace arrangement does indeed look sturdy enough to support your whole bike. As long as that eye bolt doesn't open up... :yikes:

CHAIN HOIST TEST

Ceiling height is 9’5” or 2.9 meters. The chain reaches to approximately 15” from the floor which is plenty for my needs.
59BCED8D-DEDA-43BA-BF37-B26B6B6C7549.jpeg 8D3809C6-9598-44EA-B916-547893984552.jpeg F49DE0B5-9FE3-4BAD-82FD-E83B852FD877.jpeg 05E4CE28-6DFA-495F-BA69-CC7E49B8FA14.jpeg 4CC2A0EB-C6DC-4FC7-BA4D-19BDB7B42A33.jpeg 00CCEF55-53D8-40A8-B930-61C86DEB80B5.jpeg
I’ve never used a chain hoist before and I’ve gotta say this was something of a revelation for me. It is so incredibly easy to use, the pull is feather light and no switches to flip. You wanna go up? Pull this side of the chain, you wanna go down , pull the other.
It works like butter baby! :thumbsup:

Not to be Debbie Downer here, but...

My electric hoist rolls right to the wall and the associated cords and cables are tossed up on top of a parts cabinet. Everything is out of the way.

If you're at all like me, you'll have to take that chain hoist down and stow it after every use or else you be walking into it every time you turn around and muttering incantations that wouldn't go over well in Sunday School.

If you're at all like me, you'll have to take that chain hoist down and stow it after every use or else you be walking into it every time you turn around and muttering incantations that wouldn't go over well in Sunday School.
I safety wired a coffee can to mine. It's above my head and when not in use, all the chain sits in there.

2.jpg

If you're at all like me, you'll have to take that chain hoist down and stow it after every use or else you be walking into it

It’s already hanging on my junk wall! :D
534A9F3B-16C7-4943-A1CF-C7A01AE887E8.jpeg

My new lifting straps just arrived. Not gonna use them for my motor. But these things are beefy looking, I think they’d lift my Fiat!
C4A8E1EA-B4C6-4187-9CF3-D3D3CDD72C07.jpeg

They came with these handy instructions!
7FE74C44-15D1-4FDE-834D-26A4078D49A1.jpeg

Back