Looks great...as per your usual resto parts.:). Did the lens rubber seal rest to stock size, or did you have to get a new one?

Looks great...as per your usual resto parts.:). Did the lens rubber seal rest to stock size, or did you have to get a new one?

The rubber parts did not shrink back much. The big circular gasket around the lens, I simply cut it and removed about an inch. I also bought and used some new rubber grommets to replace some really rotted specialty rubber bushings. They’re not exactly like stock, but you wouldn’t know it.

....and it has 10 times the Soul of a repro unit.

upload_2018-12-27_22-5-46.jpeg

With the frame all stripped like that, you might consider putting the engine in now. You could use the lay-it-on-it's-side method. It would be easy to set that stripped main frame down over the engine now. Once in, you could flip it upright and hang it from your chain hoist to install the rest of the stuff (forks, swingarm, wheels, etc.).

With the frame all stripped like that, you might consider putting the engine in now. You could use the lay-it-on-it's-side method. It would be easy to set that stripped main frame down over the engine now. Once in, you could flip it upright and hang it from your chain hoist to install the rest of the stuff (forks, swingarm, wheels, etc.).

You’re reading my mind. My plan is to set the engine exactly as you described. Then place the frame/engine combo on my Harbor Freight bike jack and strap it down. Then I can install the front and rear suspension and handlebars and have a roller to complete the rest of the work.
Of coarse I will document it all for you guys.
This is the fun part!
Note: I’m out of the garage for a few days. Gonna have some workers at my house.

Nice detail work Mailman! Too bad about the steering lock...real bummer. I have seen guys use plumbing pipe insulation sleeves around the frame for pritection on installation in the frame. Would provide a little more protection than just newspaper. Just a thought but you probably seen it on here before. J-C

everbilt-pipe-insulation-p20eb-64_1000.jpg

Nice detail work Mailman! Too bad about the steering lock...real bummer. I have seen guys use plumbing pipe insulation sleeves around the frame for pritection on installation in the frame. Would provide a little more protection than just newspaper. Just a thought but you probably seen it on here before. J-C

View attachment 132099
Hmmmmm..........I don't think so. The plumbing foam seems to me to be flimsy, and prone to tearing. 10 layers of newspaper is resilient and tough.

And the foam would present with increased clearance issues. Its a tight fit to begin with.

Last edited:
I kind of like the foam idea - but I must admit, I haven’t tried it.

IIRC, Lakeview and I just plopped Lucille’s Engine back in with benefit of any wrapping.

Pete

Back