main fuse blew after start up.

timtonik

XS650 Member
Reaction score
alright, so i have been rebuilding an old 79 xs650. rebuilt/cleaned carbs, made a few cutom parts, took some thick paper to the ignition points, and started kicking... ive had her running for a minute here and a minute there over the weekend but had some float needle issues in one carb. but back to the point..

i got her started and she ran for 10 seconds before she died. checked the fuses and the main was blown. replaced it, threw a different battery in and nothing changed. she was dead... where should i start? coils? ignition points? im gonna hook up the tester once i grab another minute (we have a newborn). just wondering where i should start..

One method is to start disconnecting things, one at a time, until the problem changes. Of course, many fuses will give their lives doing this. I'd probably start by disconnecting the regulator, start it, see if the fuse blows. Next would be the rectifier, then things involved with the safety interlocks. Have the schematic handy during all this...

Haha im not worried about blowing the fuse anymore (I bought a bunch) now I just have to get power back to the bike.... probably going to trace back from the batt cables... just wondering if maybe something specifically would block power from traveling through the bike.. its like the circuit is no longer complete... this is why Im not an electrician...

One area of concern is the fuse block. Many, many recommendations to swap it out for a new blade type block. Try the forum's google search of "fuse block".

Back