March 2012 XSOTM restoration, survivor nominations

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
It's March nomination time!!
The competition is fierce and we have had some great bikes win in the past few months.
This month it's a restorations and survivors contest. Stock or close to it is the idea.

Here's how it works:
First, someone "nominates" a bike they'd like to see in the XS650 of the month competition. Next, someone else "seconds" the nomination. Lastly, the owner accepts the nomination and they are in the competition.
First 5 bikes with a nomination, second, and acceptance are in.

You can't nominate yourself! (However, you're encouraged to throw your bike out there for someone to else to nominate)

Nominees must be active members (logged in within the last month) and have at least 10 posts.

-- Nominators must post a photo.
Anyone is allowed (encouraged) to post and talk about the bikes, what they like, ask questions....

If you make a nomination please let the bike owner know so they can follow the thread, post pictures, links to build threads, accept etc.

Nominate now!!

I have a close to stock restoration. Its back from certain death for sure.
Just going to put that out there.

Pictures, Tack show us some pictures! I think this month will require more self promotion, there aren't so many build threads on the stockers.

Well, just to get the ball rolling, I'll toss my feeble attempt out there:

xs650_1.jpg

When I drug it home.

fin650_2.jpg

As it sits today. No serious mods, just got rid of the Toro Tiller handlebars, put some new mufflers on it , replaced lots of mechanical bits and removed the garish "Special" tank and side cover badges.

Here's some shameless self promotion.
full

Full Album
Got her for $300 pretty crusty from a co-worker. Frame off restore, powder-coated black bits, polished shiny bits by me, professionally decal-ed and painted tins. Usual handling and electronics upgrades, but mostly stock.

While not as many "build" threads happen for stock bikes I bet there are plenty being refreshed. One I've always admired is 5twins. While I don't know the story behind his bike I say dollars to doughnuts he has spent as much time going over, under and through the bike as a custom from scratch build.
Here are a couple of shots in the ready to roll mode.

Attachments

• 5twins( 1).jpg
    5twins( 1).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 417
  • 5twins(2).jpg
    5twins(2).jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 610
Wow, guys... these are all great prospects! Good work, all! I also wonder whether we're limited to one nomination... it's always so hard to select just one in these contests! but I think I'd have to second 5twins' bike at the moment, largely for the reasons cited by weekendrider. I suspect that those of us who value stockers or near-stockers aspire to that combination of aesthetics and reliability.

Also, I'd never really seriously considered ever referencing my bike in the monthly contest, but since this month's thread focuses on stock or near-stock restos and "survivors", I think I'd be doing my '73 a disservice if I didn't toss her name in the hat. The first pic (below) is from the website that belonged to the seller, where she sat on a shelf for about 6 years before I rescued her, and doesn't begin to illustrate her state of neglect: non-runner, fuel and oil leaks, butchered wiring, incorrect cables and other parts, dryrotted tires, grime, rust, frozen front caliper, etc., ... combined with my near-total ignorance of what I was getting into. Leaky, oily, smelly paperweight. But a little over four years and a lot of patient help later, she's a bit more assertive these days. So, while I can't nominate her myself, allow me to just put her on your radar. Rather than list mods/work in this post, here is the comprehensive work list that I try to maintain.

TC

Attachments

• yam73xt650.jpg
    yam73xt650.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 378
  • 100_1357.jpg
    100_1357.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 386
  • 100_1361.jpg
    100_1361.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
Let me throw my 70 XS1 restoration into the ring.

Attachments

• XS1 Finished 010-1.jpg
    XS1 Finished 010-1.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 387
Moving right along......... I nominate Grepper. I still think the 78 in green may be the best looking stocker of all, I just missed one out in Western Iowa was up less than 2 hours on Craigslist before it was gone......
full

picture.php
Not that I don't like ass shots but I think shots more from the front quarter of the bike tend to show off the lines better.......

I just notice Teecat seconded 5twins.

I'm going to throw a self promotion out there.
My '82 survivor, all stock other than pods and bars, daily rider.
Like everyday rider 'cus my truck is a POS!, lol.
Nothing done to it, all original parts. I have the original tank, but didn't want the badges getting messed up, so I put another one on for now.
DSCF1401.JPG
DSCF1402.JPG
DSCF1403.JPG

OK, I'll accept my nomination and then I'd also like to 2nd Grepper's and nominate littlebill's. I love these "survivors" and mine was indeed one of them. The guy I got it from told me if I didn't take it, he was going to junk it, lol. It truly was one step away from the grave.

A little more background ..... I've had the bike for probably 10 years now. I had always liked and wanted a 650 but one had never come along at the right price. Then out of the blue, this guy called and offered to give me this one. It was rough but mostly there and unmolested. I figured I could use it for parts if I ever did find a nice one. It sat in my shed for another year or 2 then fate intervened again. One day, a guy was pushing a broke down bike past my house. It was a 650 and I offered to work on it for him. I thoroughly enjoyed it and that sparked my interest in mine.

The bike went up on my work table and the fix-up began. As with many of these, the P.O. used it as a daily rider with little to no maintenance. Any time it needed any work, he took it to a local shop.

XS650Before.jpg

This was the summer of '04 and by the following spring, she was reborn .....

XS650After.jpg

The next few years involved much "riding and wrenching". I implemented most of the little tweaks and upgrades found on these sites and even a few I discovered on my own (TX750 wheels and swingarm). Saddlebags and a fork brace were added and mufflers and rear shocks upgraded. I think I'm about done but are we ever ? .....

650Fall08-6.jpg

In the process, I've learned so much more about bikes. I fell in love with the 650 on the 1st test drive. Wonderful sound, feel, and low end power. It just keeps getting better the longer I own and ride it.

Back