Matching rocker arm weight ?? Starting a head build, compression boost, more??

RatyXS

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Just curious. I picked up a XS head, cover, ect for cheap, am going to clean up the ports some. Curious if matching the rocker arm weights will actually be beneficial. Read through alot of porting pics, will not be my first ride at porting a head. Also plan to not run a base gasket, hunt down a decent camshaft for this. Maybe put it in over the winter. Any other thing I should look into ??

Next is what numbers should I see on the head. It would seem I have read that the earlier XS heads (70-74) Had a slightly better design ??

Thanks

On the rocker arms I doubt you will see any gain from matching weights.
70-73 used the 256 engines, 74 up where 447. The 256 has different porting and is supposed to be a better head. Whether it is enough different to actually be a benefit, I can't say.
Leo

Thanks Leo..I have noticed that this head has a hard roll/ hump from behind the intake valve guide. Being this is the first XS head I have been able to look at, I dunno if that should be there or not. I already smoothed that hard hump out in the one chamber. So if it was supposed to be there it has been smoothed, LOL. I have not seen that in photos of other heads, or atleast could not see it in them. Thanks

I posted a review some time back of some rockers out of Canada that were stock units that had been refaced, coated, Porsche adjusters installed, and weight matched. After weighing them I discovered that they were several grams off from each other. User "Toomany" had brought up a good point in this thread about where would one take the weight from if attempting to weight match them. I summarized that you would likely have to view this process similar to weighing and balancing a connecting rod (weighing little end and big end separately via a rod balancing fixture). I just never took the time to see it out any further. A jig would have to be made to weigh the cam follower side and then the valve stem tip side of the rocker. As mentioned, the work might be a bit futile once all was said and done. Hope this helps.

Back