Measurement between Brake Anchor & Tire????

bigshmeil

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Picked up a nice but tired looking 81H that had been sitting for some time...replaced the swing arm bushings and noticed on reassembly that the Brake Anchor is incredibly close to the tire. Stock wheel with a 130/90-16 tire: Side wall of tire is about 1/16th of an inch from brake anchor...anchor is in good condition and not bent: Is this correct? This is my first posting and also my re introduction to motorcycling since 1972: :thumbsup:

I thought about using a washer and yes it does add some additional spacing between the anchor and the tire: I was also considering moving the end that connects to the swingarm by moving the anchor to the outside of the welded connection point on the swing arm: This should provide more clearance than adding a washer....but is it safe to do so? I would fill the space vacated by the anchor with a bunch of washers and of course a longer bolt: Anybody try this approach???

Follow Up: I moved the brake anchor to the outside of the bracket & added spacers to the area previously occupied by the anchor: The result was aprox. 1/2" distance between anchor and tire: I used the existing bolt but could no longer use a cotter pin...I tack welded the bolt: All in all looks like a workable solution when there is concern about the spacing at the brake anchor and the tire: Thanks to all...

why even bother moving it? if it doesn't touch, it is not ever going to touch.

Back