Mid range power loss

LifeSTAR

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Let me preface this by telling you all i have a 78 500 but this site has the best wealth of info on the internet. My issue it this. The motor seems to bog down and struggle through the 5000-7000 rpm range. before and after that it pulls hard. What is my issue? Think running some gumout type fuel injector and carb cleaner through it will help? what about some seafoam?

Lots of people like the Seafoam. What ever you use follow the directions on how much to use per gallon. One can to a 20 gallon tank is ok one can in a 3.8 gallon tank is to strong.
If you get it too strong it can hurt the rubber parts in your carb.

I'd still take a look. Possibly a sticky slide or tear in the diaghram. See what the plugs look like. Dark or light color. I'm not a fan of pour in cleaners. Usually do more harm than good.

remove carbs and clean them.
seafoam, gumout, etc might help, but it might not. in the time it takes to drive to the store for a bottle you could have just done it the right way!

What pipes are you running? If they are wide open you may not have enough back pressure. Check out Rocky Mountain Performance's Quiet Riot baffles. They add back pressure for good low-mid response then open up for good high end performance.

The trick to rebuilding carbs is patience and PERFECTLY sized screwdriver tips. If the screws are really stuck an impact screwdriver(you hit it with hammer) works great, be careful. Midrange would primarily be the needles on the slides, raise them a groove to make them go rich earlier or lower them to lean it out.

I guess you could also make sure your advance mechanism is working as it should. On the 650's it kicks in at 3000rpm.

Back