Miesha: Build thread.

Why I love my "short car". Aka the Golf.

Attachments

• IMG_8720.JPG
    IMG_8720.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 639
Tried the mirrors that MIkes sells. Didn't like them. I couldn't see behind me. Went back to bar-end mirrors. I like these so much better.

I found a set at DC that I liked, then I stumbled over these randomly on Amazon. 1/3 the price and they looked exactly like them so I figured I'd give it a try. Lots of blue on the screws, and on they go.

Yes, I'm wearing red pants.

Attachments

• barendmirror2.jpg
    barendmirror2.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 243
  • barendmirror1.jpg
    barendmirror1.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 272
Looking Good there Great Pete! Remind me to nominate you for the calendar!
I'll start a countdown timer, see how long you can go before you start polishing the engine covers, LOL.
The stripped mags is a nice touch.

Thanks Gary! If the weather cooperates this weekend, hopefully I'll get the shorty front fender painted so they'll match. If that happens, I"ll snap another pic and maybe you can use that for the calendar.

Engine covers would look great poliched. I have a few items to check off the list first - A little more electrical work, swingarm bushings, and I need to teach myself a little more about the points system etc. But I should put it on the list.

The mags are blasted and powder coated by the way. I'd call it Gunmetal, but the guy here in Charlotte listed it as "Anthracite".

By the way - after the first ride, My impression of those mirrors is very positive. They are slightly outward curved (very slightly) so they give a good field of vision and they make it easy to see what's directly behind you in addition to off to the side.

I like the "get it to where you want it and tighten the bolt" type of adjustable mirrors instead of the "just push'em around and they'll move" type of adjustables and these fit the bill.

Separate topic: I think I have a slight exhaust leak, so I"m going to pull it off and replace the gaskets and check everything. While I have it off I'd like to paint it flat or satin black. Has anyone done this to a chrome exhaust? Can I just sand it for a good while and then use black header paint?

It will flake off unless you get through the chrome. Best way is to sandblast it and then ceramic coat it. High temp Cerakote would be one of the best choices. They have one specifically for exhaust and headers.

Wow Pete - that is a very nice looking bike indeed! Great work!

Can I ask where you got the signals and the mirrors?

Pete

Thanks Pete!

The turn signals are from Dime City. They are "old school" bulbs, not LED.

The mirrors are from Amazon. So far so good on them, they stayed solid through my ride last night and didn't move an inch.

I've got those very same mirrors on my bike and they have not moved since I installed last spring. Hard tail, solid mounted drag bars. Prices all over the map on ebay.

Switched to UNI pods this weekend. Also got the "shorty" front fender reshaped and painted gloss black to match the rear.

Hopefully chance for a better pic tonight if I get her out for a ride.

Attachments

• Uni_pods.jpg
    Uni_pods.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 432
  • front_fender_black.jpg
    front_fender_black.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 224
Wheels, especially that rear look fantastic ! What is that tire ? I use to just pass right on by this sort of build but now am really getting interested as your bike and others look quite capable of riding more of a variety of road conditions. Guys like you are really convincing me to build one which would fill the gravel road need. Seems more adventuring options is a Great idea ! WTG Coconut Pete !

Thanks Time Machine!
The rear tire is a Duro Median. It's really (as far as I have found) one of the only options you have if you want a dual sport tire for the 16" rear.
I have only had her on pavement so far, although I did spend a fun day riding around 20 miles each way in the pouring rain down some country roads in questionable conditions due to having to get to the next town over for the theft inspection I needed to get a new title, and that is before I rebuilt the forks.

Back