Mikes XS Gaskets

kshansen

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering what the latest thoughts might be on the gasket sets sold by Mikes XS.

I'm working on this 1978 and I'm not sure what condition it is in internally so would like to get it running before I go too crazy, wife thinks I passed that long ways back I'm sure.

I know I am going to be replacing at the least the two oil filter/screens and most likely at least pulling one or more of the crankcase covers to check things like starter gear and such.

Mikes lists two different kit that fit the 1978. one is #18-0202 for $43.00 and the other is #18-0208 for $72.00. Just wonder if the second one is the extra $29.00. Any know problems with quality of the cheaper one or major items missing?

The expensive one is the Athena kit, but you can find it much cheaper on eBay usually, not much more than the Mike's cheap kit. I did use the cheap kit once but that bike was never driven much after that so I can't attest to the longevity of the gaskets. They went on OK and worked well initially.

For the smaller gaskets, like for the filters, intake manifolds, etc., I've had good luck finding N.O.S. ones on eBay cheaper than either Mike's or Yamaha.

One word: Vesrah. The gaskets are Japanese made and OE quality. They're not hard to find; any shop that has a stack of major distributors' catalogues can get them for you. If you order from a shop you'd be supporting local business, and the price would beat Mike's XS by the time you've added in Mike's shipping fees.

Back