MikesXS reverse cone sound

JBeasty

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Posted this first on another site - thought I'd try here too:

Was wondering if anyone here has tried to quiet down their MikesXS reverse cone muffler with packing. I currently have the XS performance 2/1 header, and the muffler with all 3 bolts installed in the baffle - still a bit too loud for me. Pulled the baffle out to see what could be done. Looks like I'd have to be careful how I placed the fiberglass (or steel wool), or it could block off the entire outer area. Guess I could just remove the 3 bolts, and then pack the entire outer baffle area - might be too restrictive though. Curious if anyone has played with this, and knows of a proven method.

Thanks, JB

Hadn't heard anything back - so after much pondering, this is my first attempt. Used a rain gutter shield, some SS wire, and fiberglass. Not expecting much improvement, as there is little to no flow in the area that I packed - but there is really little other option without significantly restricting flow. Hoping it will soften the sound up a bit though. I'll report back latter today after I've taken the bike out for a test run.

JB

Attachments

• 100_2770.jpg
    100_2770.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 218
  • 100_2765.jpg
    100_2765.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 216
I have repacked other aftermarket mufflers with FMF fiberglass packing. It does help some. I use mechanic's or safety wire to hold it in place and it works well.

The packing helped some, not quite as "blatty" (is that a word?) - but still pretty loud. I think I may try doing something similar with the end cone now. This is the exhaust, if there was any confusion about which pipe I was talking about:

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-44.html#products

Part # 07-0112 & 07-0767

Attachments

• 100_2772.jpg
    100_2772.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 253
I have the same 2 into 1 but with the taper tip muffler ... not impressed with it at all ... sounds like a dirt bike, less than a year old and already rust pitting ... I don't think it is because of all the chrome polish I used through the summer but maybe it could be? ... I was going to get the 2 into 2 with those cone mufflers but if they are loud or make it sound like a dirt bike I guess I will have to figure something else out

I wonder if that's more due to the 2:1 headers? I wouldn't say my bike sounds like a dirt bike now, but it definitely sounds different. Doesn't really sound like a 2 cylinder unless it's idling. I'm hoping it will sound better if I can quiet it down some more.

Back