MikesXS Transmission Bearing Set

Viper

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to replace a gear on my bike, so while i was at it I purchased the transmission bearing kit.

I was impressed with the bearings compared to the stock ones, because the mike's set has a groove around the outside of the bearings, and a hole in the side. Since some of the bearings have an oil feed directly to it, this allows the oil to be injected right directly inside the bearing for better lubrication. My previous, possibly stock ones, did not have these holes at all.

The bearings may wear out after a week of riding, but right now, they appear better, and the roll better.

Just my two cents. :twocents:

I think the groove and hole don't serve much of a purpose. The oil to the tranny bearings is pumped from the outer side of the bearing, through the bearing out the other end. The oil is also pumped in one end of the shifter shaft to oil all the shift forks.
The gears themselves are oiled by the gears running in the oil in the sump and splashing around.

some of those pins and grooves are locators and keep the outer race of the bearing from turning/wearing the cases, did the PO remove them to put standard bearings in? did you put them back in?

i don't think it was a spot for a pin, as the hole went directly into the needle bearings and it was approx 5 mm wide.

Back