missing tach drive thrust washer

TROYCO

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
a little while back, I pulled the clutch cover of to check things out, and I removed the tach drive to check the oil pump. now that I have done that, I am putting things back together and I noticed I am missing the thrust washer that sits under the tach drive shaft. a replacement from Yamaha will take about a month to arrive, so I guess my question is does anybody know what size a suitable replacement would be that can be used instead? also, does it have to be a copper washer as well?

No, just plain steel. As you said, it's a thrust washer, protecting the bottom of the cover from the spinning worm drive on the tach rod. You want something hard like steel, not soft like copper. It also acts as a shim to eliminate the excess up-down play in the rod. Just make sure you don't use a washer that's too thick or the rod will bind up once assembled. Check it to make sure you still have a little up/down play.

Good on you RG for writing that size down. I just made mine, stuck it in, and rode off into the sunset, lol. Eventually, I upgraded my cover to the oil site glass type which I purchased off ebay. It came complete with the tach drive rod AND that pesky little washer - and it's original as far as I know. Next time I have it off, I'll try to remember and get some measurements on the real deal.

Thanks for those measurements. I was able to find one that was close, and drilled the hole out a but bigger and it fit perfectly! :thumbsup:
Once the Yamaha washer comes in, I'll get some measurements off it and post it here for the group.

Got that thrust washer from Yamaha today, took the time to measure it, in case anyone is interested.

Thick= .040"
ID= .318"
OD= .430"

Back