Modern Battery, Modern Regulator/Rectifier?

ohiorides1

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Good Afternoon All,

Been reading through the threads about sealed batteries - pros and cons, mishaps and triumphs, opinions and experiences with brands and have come to conclude that I want to go with either a Shorai LFX or Ballistic 8 cell for my build. It seems that through the collections of posts about Li ion batteries overcharging and blowing, Shorai seems to have the least amount of troubles but it seems that Ballistic wins the size and weight battle.

Any recommendations from experience or general knowledge collected from posts on which to lean towards?

Bigger question:

Is a modern regulator rectifier necessary? In all honesty, I was looking into purchasing one with the new battery to avoid an overcharging issue and taking the loss on an expensive sealed battery. But really hoping to couple a sealed battery with the stock charging system. Just reaching out for some guidance.

ohiorides1,

Well, it would help if we knew what year / model bike you have. The regulator on the '80 to '83 models is a solid state regulator / rectifier and it would be fine for sealed and other exotic batteries. The crude mechanical relay type regulator and crude rectifier on the earlier models will make short work of your expensive "modern" battery. The stock alternator on all models is fine. PMA's have a tendency to over charge so they also may fry your new battery, although opinions may vary on that.

I run sealed AGM batteries on three of my five bikes and they are fine, but I also installed modern solid state regulators and new rectifiers on all of them.

Pamcopete,

Appreciate the reply, I know how well regarded you are around these parts :D. I have a 79 special II. Bike has come a long way from being a fellows parts bike for a hardtail build. Luckily for me, the bike came mostly complete (esp electronics). After a total tear down, clean up, powdercoat and parts purchase I'm starting to get to the piece back together phase. Looking to get all my ducks in a row with the electronics before i get there.

What AGM, reg/rec set up do you have or suggest? Can you share an opinion on shorai vs ballistic?

Attaching a shot of the tail end mock up. Not that it fully applies to post but something to look at :)

Thanks!

XS650 Rear Mock.jpg

Pamcopete,

Appreciate the reply, I know how well regarded you are around these parts :D. I have a 79 special II. Bike has come a long way from being a fellows parts bike for a hardtail build. Luckily for me, the bike came mostly complete (esp electronics). After a total tear down, clean up, powdercoat and parts purchase I'm starting to get to the piece back together phase. Looking to get all my ducks in a row with the electronics before i get there.

What AGM, reg/rec set up do you have or suggest? Can you share an opinion on shorai vs ballistic?

Attaching a shot of the tail end mock up. Not that it fully applies to post but something to look at :)

Thanks!

View attachment 57352

I have used the AGM battery from Advance Auto with great success and low cost. Sometimes they are even on sale and convenient to pick up. The last time I bought one they were on sale, so I bought two. The second one stayed on the shelf for several months until my friend needed a battery on the side of the road. The battery I had fit his bike and it worked great after sitting on the shelf all those months. I've no experience with Shoral or Ballistic batteries.

Back