Rectifier/Regulator

Kathos

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So Ive been working on my 79 650xs trying to clean up all the wiring. Ive already got rid of what I could. I was planning on reusing me stock rectifier and regulator because they both work but I was looking through my parts box and I found a brand new regulator/rectifier unit.

From what I have read, it seems like I can use this
ofgh.jpg

and get rid of both my stock rectifier (mounted under the battery) and stock regulator (mounted left of the battery) and all Ill need to do is some rewiring.
liwz.jpg

I dont know what kind of rectifier/regulator it is, probably just some ebay part.
Any write-ups on wiring this type of regulator?

A little more information would be helpful. How many wires are there on the rec/reg, and what are the colours? Did you see an instruction sheet in the box? Is there a manufacturers name on the box (in english)?

I picked up the box. It says "rectifier & regulator" on the box. On the side there is a sticker that says #24-2085 then it has a black marker line drawn over what looks like "regulator only"
I did a google search of the number and this link came up.
So i dont know if I have a rectifier or regulator combo or just one and I would need to buy the other.. "/

Looks to me like rectifier only. That would account for 3 leads from the alternator (3 phase, yellow wires) + DC out to the regulator and - DC to ground.

Sold here too. Expensive little bastard. I'd ebay it and see what happened. On the other hand the box says reg rect and there are two unaccounted for terminals in the drawings.

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/24-2085.html

How do you figure that? 3 for the yellow wires from the alternator, + and -. That's 5.

Am I missing something?

Looking over the box full of receipts. It is a rectifier only from mike xs.
The website says its a direct plug into stock harness however I'm pretty sure the pins on the stock rectifier are in a different layout.

Yes, just as Downeaster said, that's a rectifier only. Confusing, as one place it says its a direct plug-in, however, if you look carefully, it says on Mikesxs web site, that the pins of the rectifier do not line up with the XS650 wire harness socket.

Compare the pic from Mikexs web site, with the pic of my home made rectifier. You will see that you would have to re-wire the connector in your harness.

Don't re-use that old stock regulator, its done its job over all those years, and its time to replace it. A nos automotive VR-115 regulator will do an excellent job for you.

Attachments

• 24-2085.jpg
    24-2085.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 187
  • Rectifier 2009 mod1.JPG
    Rectifier 2009 mod1.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 153
Im gonna put this here for anyone searching in the future. Layout for VR-115 Harness Connection
Standard VR-115, were used on Jeeps 72 to 75, and American Motors 71 to 74. They come with 4 wires,orange,yellow,green and black. You cut the 4 pin connector off and re-wire it to a 3 pin connector.
Regulator....................... XS650 harness
orange & yellow.................brown (load side of ignition switch)
green...............................green (left outer brush)
black................................common black wire in harness or bare metal on frame.

It's that simple!

Back