More shitty shit from MikesXS

Ha idk what their deal is I gave them a measurment thats smaller than the gear is listed on the website but tell me to check for burrs? Ha no dude start getting parts that fit or fix ones that dont. Luckily this is only costing me time they get off free this time. I didnt want to run the stock gear cus I had already bought this one

I think this is turning into a broken record.....I knew there were some problems with Mikes stuff, but I didnt expect it to be this broad spectrum. I can understand my issue a bit.......not really....but its a $6 part..... But, having a poorly manufactured tranny gear...Thats BS. Thats some pretty damn important stuff to get right. No real margin for error in there.

They have no scruples.......

My own experience with Mikes over 10-15 years..... right before they sold I get screwed on a $300 order..never got it. Send emails nothing...I wrote it off. I posted on the other board and was ripped a new butt hole for defaming Mikes, this was about 4-5 years ago.

A few weeks later I was contacted by Mikes and the new owners made good and gave me other parts for free....I was totally satisfied and they did the right thing.

I find Mikes pulls parts they are having problems with and don't sell them anymore like the starter fix spring & gear they had. I believe the guys there work on a small mark up and do there best to bring products for our bikes into the States. Quality control is always tough when you sell the parts and don't make them. as long as they replace a defective part then all good.

Do you know what our bikes would be like if they closed shop....lots of XS from the 70's would be scraped....so you take the good with the bad.

I try and order stuff with 650 central whenever I can...Mike Morse is the best especially when he sets up the carbs fully jetted......I go to Mikes on whatever 650 don't have. Also check out Hughes Hand Built and see what parts they are making, he usually just rebuilds the engines and modifies frames but Hugh is a solid guy just like Mike Morse.

Gary, you sure didn't get ripped by me or a lot of other guys at the Garage for your post; the hollering was led mainly by one noisy, lying shill. Anyway, the fact that the guys at Mike's are still selling a wrongly machined part that's been identified as defective here and elsewhere for a very long time and that they are pretending to be unaware of the defect tells you that they're doing what Lalonde always did--sell the problem until it's gone.

This is just one grumpy old man's view, but if the cheap, substandard Chinese/Taiwanese/Whateverese parts were gone, we'd see more small operators like Don James and Mark Whitebook producing quality spares and making a living at it. We'd also see fewer of these bikes destroyed by fools if it cost more to tear them up.

Update:

I went to ACE hardware and found a nut and bolt to fit the brake lever I got from Mikes. Everything seems to work fine. Of course I didnt actually look at the size, just threaded it in and went to the front to pay, but it worked fine... Super simple. Now my levers match.

This will conclude my bitchyness for this thread. Thanks for everyones feedback,... positive or negative.... its good to be able to vent and share experiences.

Thank you everyone!

Attachments

• 20140604_093346.jpg
    20140604_093346.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 143
Ordering from Australia is a big worry with hearing past experiences with buyers here that had with the past owners of MikesXS.
Freight is a Big issue for buyers outside of the USA as you have to order a pile of stuff to make it worth while with the high price of freight on small orders.
But beside that at the end of 2014 I received a large order from the guys at MikesXS.
Once unpacked I discovered 2 sets of XS1 mufflers were damaged because they were put on the bottom of box with everything stacked on top.
From the bottom up perfectly packed but they had forgotten to put packing in before putting the mufflers in.
Naturally with all the weight these mufflers suffered damage every time the large box hit anything sharp on its way to Australia.
I thought I would be out of money but I contacted the guys at MikesXS with a description and photos and they quickly replied that 2 new sets were on there way and to throw the other ones out as they did not want them back.
They also requested me to take pictures of how the replacements arrived.
When the parcel arrived you could have driven a tank over it and it would have bounced off.
I have placed another order since then with all the parts coming perfectly boxed and because the order was split they only charged me for one parcel with the other one free.
Great service and have been quick to respond with emails sent.
I have a lot of different XS650 in my collection that I require allot of parts for and through ear of mouth I have learned what is good from Mikes and what to stay away from.
Some stuff I have thrown in the rubbish mainly rubber stuff and rear pillion peg sets starter springs etc.
Shame their XS1-Tx650 seats are too short with wrong chrome strip, huge gap between the seat and tank when fitted, just looks shit, but otherwise the quality is quite good .
Would have purchased 4 seats if they were right.
Everything that is brand named is perfect they just have to get 45% of the reproduction stuff right.
I have allot of good MikesXS parts on bikes so far but I have been burned in the past with stuff I would be ashamed to sell.

Last edited:
Yup not a perfect vender. A heads up I guess, this rim;

WM 2.5x18x36 spoke motorcycle rim Yamaha XS650
WM 2.5x18x36 spoke motorcycle rim Yamaha XS650

34-0007.jpg

XS Performance
WM 2.5x18x36 hole Rim, polished aluminum.

Very hard to find new. Classic 36 hole pattern will work with many vintage bikes. Works with XS650????????????, XS400.

This is a quality rim comparable to what you see on other sites for much more money.

Great for chopper and bobber projects.

DOT approved.

Rim Profile WM Type
Part #34-0007 $99.95 USD Ea.

is not drilled to fit the XS650 REAR hub, spoke hole angles are wrong, maybe for a front hub or??? I did some filing but it wasn't enough, spokes are bowed. Will have to tear down the wheel this winter and either get serious about making oval spoke holes (crap)........ or see how it mates up to a front hub???
Sure would be nice to be able to get an 18 x 2.5 predrilled for the rear XS650 hub.

Back