motorcycle will not start, assuming it's ignition.

jonasblack

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
i fired up my bike no problem today, and i took it for a 3 minute ride to my apartment's office to pick up a package.

i turned my bike off as usual, i picked up my package, and when i got back the bike will not start. the ignition makes no sound, it's dead, but the battery still has juice because the lights work. I have had trouble with my electric start the past few meaning that it will only work after i kick start the bike.

the bike at this point won't even kick on. I can only assume it's spark plugs? battery? maybe coils?

any help on where to begin would be appreciated! thank you!

1st id pull the plugs and see if you have spark, if not take a piece of wire and go from the brown coil wires to the positive on the battery, if it works u have a problem in your harness or fuse block, if it doesn't could be bad coils or points

Battery can still have juice and not enough power to e-start. My battery had over 12v and it wouldnt even allow a kick start. A dead battery can still have voltage. Are your lights dim or bright?
First things first is check fuse. Always check fuse, its the easiest.
Then go on and check spark.

Can you kick start it, it happened to me the other day, I had it warming up, shut it off went into house, came out to start nothing, battery was good, so I kick started it and it fire check battery, it was charging, check my fuses. Yep it was a fuse.

I had the same trouble not to long ago, took carbs off cleaned (because my choke wasn't working right) and put back together about the fourth time, check my spark plug, they were shot and I had a broken spark plug cap, so check the plugs. Mine would fire, but not run to long and shut off, replaced plugs, good to go,

im assuming if i replace the spark plugs itll kick on again. then i just have to move to fix the e ignition. its still stock 81 ignition so im wondering if i should upgrade to pamco or not?

If it starts with the kicker after you change the plugs then the ignition system is working. If the electric start still doesn't work check the battery voltage and trouble shoot the electric start issue from there.

Check the connections at the battery also the ground wire where it connects to the frame. The electronic ignition on the bike needs a good battery. Charge the battery and have it load tested to rule that out of the equation.

So this is the old plug compared with the new one lol. when i took the old plug out i compared it to the new one and they do not match, did i maybe pull a housing off of the old spark plug?

it looks like the old one is missing the terminal

Attachments

• photo (5).jpg
    photo (5).jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
i figured out the answer to my newbie question and the bike fired up no problem. first kick and the e start works again... it was spark plugs. i cant believe how much effect those have on the way the bike runs.

thanks guys for having patience with a noob.

Yes, the plugs effect the starting and running very much, they are what supplies the spark to start the air/fuel mix burning. It they don't do this at all or not very well the engine acts the same way, won't run or runs poorly.
Leo

Back