MOTORS

member3480

RICH
Reaction score
OK I am going to start building 5 motors that I have and then put them up for sale around MAY.
HERE IS MY QUESTION
WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR IN A MOTOR if you were going to buy one
I have built a lot of motors and always guys come up with all the crazy wish list then can't pay for a motor
Here are just some ideas I have and maybe I am wrong so correct me
PLAIN JANE...... new pistons-bore-seals-chain-guides-gaskets-valve seals.... CASES STOCK not blasted-NO electronics
FAST EDDIE.... Big BORE- Pamco or Boyer-PMA-Cam-cases blasted-setup for VM CARBS-plus all the rest above
ROCK STAR.... Cases powder coated- Polished parts- ALL OF THE ABOVE
THIS IS just about what I get from you guys that have had motors built from me and its just not XS650 guys so this applies to most motors.
So lets here what you are looking for.... I only build about 10 motors a year and never had a problem moving them but I always wondered what would they most want?
Me I like low long RAT BIKE PLAIN JANE MOTOR with boyer and stock charging
LOOK OUT FL Heading your way HAHA

I know you were putting this out there for people in the market but I will weigh in even though I am not in the market for a motor at this time. I would be looking for something in between Plain Jane and Fast Eddie, I guess a blasted big bore plain jane. Just my :twocents:

Mix it up, it's a big tent and there is no one answer fits all. IMHO they NEED plain jane motors with proper valve guides pistons new parts etc but they WANT bling and more horsepower than a 650 can handle LOL.

There is probably a lot more people in the plain jane category. You need a lot of know how to keep one of those fast eddie bikes on the road. I would put he Pamco on all of them because they are so inexpensive.

gggary,s rite.
Im not in the market yet, but when I rebuilt my motor, its pretty much stock, as in, rotor/stator, stock ign box, stock valves, rejetted 34's to work with open pipes.
The only real upgrade I did, since my barrels and pistons were trashed, was I went 6 over, with the kit from mikes.
It runs very well, and a lot stronger than my bud's stock 650,
But I wish I had the cases blasted, and the head cleaned up.
So may I propose another option:
Stock/overbore for reliability, more umph
Blasted cases/head for the bling.(makes paint stick better if that's the owners preference.)
BTW, Im about to get a 1987 suzi intruder 1400. Its got a blown head gasket on the cam chain side. Have you rebuilt one of those? Im sure I can do it, but any advise? I know that's not what you looking for here, but...........

Not in the market, but I would think a blasted motor with a fresh top end and Pamco should fill about every need. You can go 31 flavors or just make tye best fucking chocolate out there. I'm in it for reliability, and it might as well be good and clean since it's out. Anyone looking for more should be sending you a lump as a core, or be building thier own.
$0.02

No this is what I want... You get a lot of guys who call for motors and want all the bling bling and then don't know how to keep it running. I always tell everyone if you buy and riding that bike buy a book. Even if you don't understand 50% of what you are reading you may pickup one or two things that keep you running.
I build a lot of PLAIN JANES and they run well and I agree there is just so much horsepower you can get out of a xs650. GREAT BAR HOPPER
For your other question yes I have done a 1400. Just did a complete motor on a Intruder 1500 and was not that bad but I hate the cam tensioner setup. You have to lock them with a tool and cannot remove it until valve cover is in place. Has a cap that you take out of valve cover to push tool threw. Just for HAHA I pulled one and the sucker retarted the cam and I had to go back in and move it back to TDC weird design.
Need any help email me and I will send you my number. Carbs are a bitch on them too. The one I did the electric pump pressure is pushing gas past the seat and flooding the piston so I don't get full rotation open plug and get a gas bath. So I had to change seat needle that looked good now we are in the test mode. I got this bike in ten boxes someone else tried to build it and we made some changes to the look. Changed that ugly tail light to one with built in turn signals and took off all the metal on front and put new longer headlight with built in turn signals and got rid of the cat and made up a new exhaust. Sounds awesome. This bike only has 1 1/2 exhaust pipes and both cylinders have compression release valves again weird design. Someone was smoking some funny stuff when they design it.

Attachments

• 2013-11-16 10.32.53.jpg
    2013-11-16 10.32.53.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1193.JPG
    IMG_1193.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Would be nice to see some plain janes except with porting done. Get the reliability of the stock motor with all the benefits of a proper porting job.

No this is what I want... You get a lot of guys who call for motors and want all the bling bling and then don't know how to keep it running. I always tell everyone if you buy and riding that bike buy a book. Even if you don't understand 50% of what you are reading you may pickup one or two things that keep you running.
I build a lot of PLAIN JANES and they run well and I agree there is just so much horsepower you can get out of a xs650. GREAT BAR HOPPER
For your other question yes I have done a 1400. Just did a complete motor on a Intruder 1500 and was not that bad but I hate the cam tensioner setup. You have to lock them with a tool and cannot remove it until valve cover is in place. Has a cap that you take out of valve cover to push tool threw. Just for HAHA I pulled one and the sucker retarted the cam and I had to go back in and move it back to TDC weird design.
Need any help email me and I will send you my number. Carbs are a bitch on them too. The one I did the electric pump pressure is pushing gas past the seat and flooding the piston so I don't get full rotation open plug and get a gas bath. So I had to change seat needle that looked good now we are in the test mode. I got this bike in ten boxes someone else tried to build it and we made some changes to the look. Changed that ugly tail light to one with built in turn signals and took off all the metal on front and put new longer headlight with built in turn signals and got rid of the cat and made up a new exhaust. Sounds awesome. This bike only has 1 1/2 exhaust pipes and both cylinders have compression release valves again weird design. Someone was smoking some funny stuff when they design it.
pm sent.

You described my bike. .. Rat low long Boyer on stock charging lol
I would love a rephased 750 with cams. No shiny parts needed. Just go fast goodies.

Back