Moving to CA - what to know?

crashcourse

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'll be finishing school here in a couple of months and moving to CA (bay area) to start my first grown-up job. I'm planning on using my 650 for my daily commuter. In the past its been dead reliable - no issues there.

However, a quick search of the forum showed that people occasionally have trouble registering bikes in CA. Is there anything I should be sure to do BEFORE crossing state lines? Do they subject bikes this old to emissions testing? My registration will lapse before the move - is it worth renewing registration here in UT to make CA registration easier? Are there any safety regulations that take modifications to satisfy? I need this transition to be as painless as possible - I won't have time to wrench on the bike or chase paperwork once my new job starts.

Dependent upon a 35 year old machine and no time for wrenching are incompatible statements. The roads over there are in generally poor condition and there's lots of traffic. That bike will get a beating. Get a place where you can park it indoors and have public transportation available to you. Renew the tag in Utah. At least, that will buy you time until you get things worked out.

Have not lived in CA for a while but I do remember the CHP being on top of out of state registrations. If they suspect you are local with an out of state tag they will require you to justify it. I don't think registering a 35 yr old motorcycle will be much trouble as long as you have the title and it was registered where it is coming from.

You may want to peruse this recent thread on KZR:

http://www.kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/600694-crackheads-stealing-spark-plugs

Old bike registration is easy. We resurrect clapped out bikes all the time. I bought a big rig once from out of state with expired tags and it didn't matter. As the song says California's a brand new game! Lots of great riding here and if you're nice to people they're generally nice back. Check the BARF Forum for your new home (Bay Area riders forum) it would be scary to not have a car for commuting in my opinion.
Welcome to California! Rich

Don't. Too expensive, too many people and not gun friendly. People are moving here by the thousands from California.
jefft

Bullshit! California is awesome! (the rural areas are nicest, bay area is a great launching point) You will have soooo much fun.... Endless riding opportunities - the coast, the mountains, the dessert, zillions of bike nights and activities... Registration is not going to be hard... check out the Calif DMV website... Bay area? All year riding.

Thanks for the replies. Good to know registration won't be too terrible.

As for all the naysayers - this is literally a job I've wanted for years. I worked here as an intern and loved it. Moving here for a few years is non-negotiable.

My commute isn't going to be too far, so it isn't worth getting a second car and if I need a backup vehicle I'll just ride my bicycle.

don't know anything about CA paperwork or cops, but i'd renew the UT reg to buy some time...

Bay area traffic is absolutely god awful and hard to escape, having visited there recently. high chance of theft too unless you have a garage. parking a car in SF is also nearly impossible in places.

that being said there are some to-die-for mountain twisties up north, the scenery is great (though UT also has incredible vistas as you know), the weather is often good, and people were pretty friendly.

Is there anything I should be sure to do BEFORE crossing state lines?
-rain gear, bike lock, maintenance
Do they subject bikes this old to emissions testing?
-No
My registration will lapse before the move - is it worth renewing registration here in UT to make CA registration easier?
-Definitely register before you move, this will make it much easier for you. Odometer mileage is not necessary on bikes this old
Are there any safety regulations that take modifications to satisfy?
-bike must have one mirror and all lights must work without running the engine

Be prepared to ride everyday :)

Back