Moving to Maryland...any recommendations.

C-Los SD

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'll be moving to Maryland (Ft Meade area) from San Diego next month and wanted to get some recommendations.

Any motorcycle shops that cater to old bikes?
Shops for tires, oil, and fluids?
Any bike meets once the weather gets warm?

Most important...any XS'ers in MD?

I haven't found a place to live yet, any places to avoid?

Here is my bike in case you see me on the road.

DSCN0540.jpg

Well, you'll be about 2 1/2 hours from me, Teecat is in Ellicott City, west of Balto city and a couple others. Ocean City MD (beaches) is about 2 hours away, which has several bike shows each year. There are a bunch of shops around too.
North of Ft. Meade is Baltimore City, which I try to stay away from certain parts. South East is Annapolis, South West is D.C.. You'll be close to a lot of stuff and, depending on how far you want to commute, you can have a choice of rural or city.

Hi, C-Los! Beautiful bike!

As Bill said, I'm in Ellicott City. There are a lot of shops around, but the only one I know of who claims to cater to classic Jap bikes is about an hour away in Boonsborough. But you can get oil and supplies locally without too much trouble unless it's specialty stuff. To be honest, I have been disappointed with the relative paucity of classic bike meets and stuff, unless I am just inadequately informed. Of course, I am just now getting to trust my bike and my work enough to actually go to a local event.

We'll have to hook up once you get here.

TC

Last edited:
I agree with Teecat on the lack of classic bike shows. There are several shows around, but most are H-D themed with little, or no, classics in the mix. Usually Carlisle (Carlisle, Pa.) has a good swap meet for motorcycles in the summer. I think this year though Carlisle and Mid-Ohio are the same weekend.

Welcome!

I'm in Baltimore City, but hopefully not much longer.

I suggest making it up to the Jefferson Hill Climb in PA for the Vintage jap bike show. I stumbled upon this swap meet by accident while junk yarding before I got an XS. It was awesome!

Otherwise, I'll be looking for some of the same info.

Is lane splitting/sharing legal in MD?

Is lane splitting legal anywhere outside of California?

Believe me, you do not want to try lane splitting anywhere in the Eastern half of the US, legal or not. Cagers here believe lane splitters here to be legitimate targets and even your grandmother will run over you.

You will be around the Balto/DC area. Do not try lane splitting, which is illegal. You'll be lucky if the cars even see you in your own lane. Rt. 1, 295 and 495 are a pain in the ass.
I would, personally, stay away from Laurel. No offense to anyone, but its not very nice.
Crofton, SE of Ft. Meade, is a nice place though.

I have a buddy who lives south of Glen Burnie just off of Route 2. His house is decent and they have a huge yard with good outbuildings to work on cars and bikes but the area... pretty crappy. Lots of racial tension which really sucks.

IMO, I think the closer you are to the water, the better off you'll be.

p.s. I'm from Falls Church. Have lived in DC and the DC area since 1990. welcome.

I would say to just stay out of Prince Georges county.

If you're buying a house, check out: Redfin.com

maybe parts of Elkridge arent bad? We're looking at school zones, so we have to be pretty careful. If you don't have kids, then you can go further. Maybe look at catonsville as well. Glen Burnie can also be ghetto. Columbia too. Its hard to find nice sections in that are. Savage looks neat with old houses.....

Back