My $10 gas tank

tonyc

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I bought this gas tank on e-bay for $10 and it had 3 large dents. I had a friend remove the dents fo $35 and then I had it powdered coated for another $60 dollars. Next I will drop it off at my painter's for the tuning forks logo and clear coat another $40. I will have a grand total of $145. Not bad. I have one more tank with all the dents removed and I will chrome it and buff out the side pannels like a BSA. The center section will be painted red. It will look like a BSA tank with Chrome eliptical side pannels.

Attachments

• $10 tank.jpg
    $10 tank.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 151
  • $10 tank1.jpg
    $10 tank1.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 145
  • PA240116.jpg
    PA240116.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 206
Looks good.
How did the friend remove the dents? Was Bondo used? I thought that you can't powdercoat on top of Bondo.

All the standards had the gas cap centered, The offset cap was on the Special tanks.
Use JB Weld as the filler, powder coats just fine.
Leo

No filler was used. He makes his own tools to go through the filler hole. he stretches the dents out and then smoothes with a file. I finish the tank by sanding. I bought two tanks off e-bay cheap. I was going to sell one to pay for the other but decided to keep both. When he is finished you cannot find where the dents were previously. P.S. My coaters run their ovens on the hot-side and do not allow J.B. Weld.

Back