Bob , if it were me I'ed Gasket goop the gasket to the sump plate then grease the top side so it will come off easy off the motor in the future
that way when you pull the sump again all you need to do it grease the surface of the sump gasket again and put it back on ...
...to each their own .... the main thing is get it where ya got no leaks ! LOL
...... Strangely enough my back drain plug had no copper washer either ! odd eh ?
Bob......

I like a bit of grease on both sides of the gasket.......Using gasket goo on one side will keep it stuck in place, it will make it harder when the gasket does need to be replaced .....Sump plate, Tappet covers, even mated serf-ices like the rocker cover i will use a smear on them all............

The best thing about your restoration is the quality of the work that you are doing.....does make helping a worth while experience.... feels like our baby to..........

my turn next week.:)........may your retirement be a long one.

Skull - you're stepping down as CEO of Dogonit Industries Pty?

Say it ain't so! ;)

No, not yet...... i meant it's my turn to have the bike next week......... help given has got have some brownie points in it..........lol......who wouldn't want to ride, you'd feel safe knowing such a good job was done refurbishing, should be more reliable than a new one...........no short cuts........

Ahhhhh - yes, and my turn the week after that.

This is a great arrangement - Mailman cleans, fixes and maintains - and we ride!

.....except for the killer shipping charges that is.....:p:lmao:

650Skull said,
The best thing about your restoration is the quality of the work that you are doing.....does make helping a worth while experience.... feels like our baby to..........
my turn next week.:)........may your retirement be a long one.

Thank you sir! I certainly couldn't have done all this without the knowledge base of this forum and those with far more experience than myself being so generous with their tips and support. ESPECIALLY when I was refurbishing my electrical system! The tech files are amazing! I have read and re read the carburetor and Pamco and charging problems guides more times than you can imagine.

There IS a little bit of all of you in this bike.

You know I have read those posts before. Very clever idea. I also really like that Heiden conversion to put a spin on filter on the sump plate. That would just be too easy. And discreet!
- - - and vulnerable. Smooth blacktop only, eh?

- - - and vulnerable. Smooth blacktop only, eh?

True, somewhat. For sure you wouldn't want to take it off road. I was surprised to see it only sticks down ( if I remember correctly ) 24 mm below the acorn nuts that are on the bottom of the case. I wonder if any of our forum members are running that system?

I agree with fred on that one.... seams likely to be smacked by a rock or something and leak all your oil out.... I saw that article and then
decided against it because of the ground clearance issue..... my bike is a bit lower than stock now and may wind up lower still
so that conversion is out for me.... besides I like going off road !
Bob......

Yup - while I do like the idea of a spin-on filter, the lack of ground clearance caught my eye.

I doubt that too many folks take the XS650 off road very often - BUT - it would only take one encounter with a rock / curb / brick / case of empty (or full!! :cheers:) beer bottles to wipe that filter off the bottom of the engine and dump your oil all over the road. :wtf::cussing:

....OR WORSE - bash a hole in the light metal filter housing and dump the oil out slowly enough that you didn't notice....:yikes:

Last edited:
Oil on the rear tire is a bad thing... My mother was Crippled for life after a fall because of oil on the rear tire on a Honda 50 only doing 45mph!
it split the cartilage in her knee ! .... no fun !
Dad said one second they were riding along the next they were on the ground sliding ! Dad Rolled mom didn't,... stiff as a board and slid....
she was hurt.... ground to the bone in several places... both ankles and a knee to the bone...that's allot of flesh to loose ! I went back and got her shoe...it was turned inside out ( tennis shoes !) .... that's why I ware BOOTS ! even if it's 110 in the shade I put the boots on !
Bob.......

So check this out. I brushed this citrus gel stripper on the gasket late yesterday afternoon , covered it with plastic wrap , and this morning it was so soft and pliable I simply pulled it off with my fingers in one peice.
IMG_5434.JPG

That gasket was rock hard and stuck like glue to the sump plate. And what was underneath looked perfect!
IMG_5435.JPG

After getting that all cleaned up, as Gary would say, I spent some quality time laying on my back carefully scraping old gasket material off with a single edge razor.
I had read about sometimes around the sump bolt holes , the aluminum will pull out a little lip and can keep your sump from laying flat against the cases, I found this on three of the bolt holes.
2M had suggested once using countersink bit to deburr that edge. Well you know me, Mr Use What You Got, I simply took a large, sharp drill bit and lightly twisted it with my fingers to remove that edge. It worked really well.
IMG_5439.JPG

IMG_5441.JPG

All cleaned up and it now looks like this.
IMG_5442.JPG

Then it was just a matter of lightly applying grease to my gaskets assembling everything and torquing to spec. Should go without saying that all bolts were cleaned up and brushed with anti seize.
I also added new crush washers for both drain plugs.
Got the oil back in and fired it up and yippee! No leaks!

Last edited:
OOOOH Nice ! Swingarm goodies !!!! I'll watch this one by the edge of my seat !
..... You do Excellent work Bob !
Bob.

Back