Hey Rick:

There is a carb guide on the site which extremely thorough and a very fine aid to working on these bikes. I strongly recommend you download it (free) and have a gander.

Pete

This doesn't fit your midrange scenario........but, after replacing your fuel line, is it all running downhill? No P-trap configurations to get air locks? Like plumbers say, "shit runs downhill, not uphill".

Scott

Sorry Scott,
I missed this earlier, yes the new fuel line is a little "busier" with the addition of the new fuel filters, but it all still runs downhill.
726BB1C1-52F1-4AF5-B6AF-B1913B44009C.jpeg

Where did you get those tiny little filters Bob - I’ve been trying to find a set of those for months.

Hope things work out for you this time!

Pete

Where did you get those tiny little filters Bob - I’ve been trying to find a set of those for months.

Hope things work out for you this time!

Pete

Ha! Thanks Pete, but I haven't had the time to mess with them anymore yet. Weekend is pretty booked with visiting relatives. Those filters aren't especially small, they're just tucked down in there. I bought them on eBay pretty cheap.
4DD1CC34-C22C-46C0-8370-499765FCDA3A.jpeg

A little update:
Patience is not my strong suit. I can pull these carburetors off in my sleep now, bing bang boom, they’re on my work bench. I wanted to check mechanical operation and check all the jets and passageways for any obstructions.
First off , I wasn’t happy with the choke operation, it felt sticky and like something was in a bind. I took all the linkage off and I checked the individual chokes. The one on the Right carburetor was not working smoothly. I pulled it apart and cleaned up the inside then applied grease to all the linkage friction points. Put it back together and now it’s working much smoother.
I checked the diaphragms for proper operation and observed the needle jets to insure that nothing was sticking or binding.
Then I broke both carbs down and checked to make sure both needle jets were installed properly and that the clip was in the proper location. I also did a visual inspection of the float valves and and mains and pilot jets, all were clear and clean.
With all the jets removed I blew compressed air through all the carb openings and checked for blockages, everything was good.
Next I filled a bowl with steaming hot water and held my floats under to check for leaks, all was good.
Then I checked my float levels. The last time I had the carbs apart I remember changing one of the float heights. When I checked them today one the carbs seemed well off the mark.
Let me show you what I believe happened. I use a little slip of paper that I have a line drawn on at 24mm to set float levels with.
F1D90F04-A6B0-4939-B141-AFECA39CB9B9.jpeg

If you flip that paper over , the distance to that line is 26mm.
E50287B0-B9F5-419A-A9AF-C86742B1AC1F.jpeg

I think I inadvertently measured one set of floats with my paper upside down, because when I flipped my paper it was exactly the height of my float. Hmmm. Note: I know to measure from the gasket surface. I’m holding up the paper to show the camera.
So floats are now both set at proper height.

One more question, inside my replacement carb body , this raised bead that seals the gasket, has been rather flattened in a few spots. Could this be causing any fueling issues?
100143F8-8CDF-4D5C-B580-D1D627C3C177.jpeg

So I worked on a sticky choke mechanism
I re set an incorrect float height.
And checked all jets, floats and passageways for any problems.
Tomorrow I will throw them back on the bike and re set the air mix screws and balance them. I think I will also throw a clean set of plugs in that I have lying around.
Fingers crossed.

"I think I inadvertently measured one set of floats with my paper upside down"

Dammit, Bob !!

The posted Vegas odds on you ever making a mistake were so low, I bet half my IRA on this never happening !
;)

Looks like you're on the way to sorting it out.

LMAO! I only wish I were that reliable!

One more question, inside my replacement carb body , this raised bead that seals the gasket, has been rather flattened in a few spots. Could this be causing any fueling issues?
Bob,
that lower pic, on the lower left definitely looks like it could cause a sealing issue. Not being a carb expert though, I don't know where that passageway leads or what it does....

Was the carb with the improperly set float the one that was giving the black plug? I ask because a 26mm setting would actually give a lower and leaner fuel level in the bowl.

BOB - fer cryin' in a bucket!!! I don't have an IRA - but I do have an RRSP - and just blew about 30% of it - just like Dude. ;)

OK - I'm comin' over....right after I sober-up from drinking all of this cheap Canadian this port (the LCBO calls it "Tawney") and have a good look at this super moon. :laugh:

All seriousness aside - you'll get her - just stick at it. As for this areas on the sealing surface - I doubt they're a problem. Those types of irregularities are in every casting and are why we use gaskets in the first place and in any event, they cannot be more than 0.010 - 0.020" (around 1/4-1/2 mm) deep. A good gasket, operating with zero or nearly zero pressure, should have no difficulty sealing that surface.

Pete

Bob,
that lower pic, on the lower left definitely looks like it could cause a sealing issue. Not being a carb expert though, I don't know where that passageway leads or what it does....

I am not quite clear on that myself. I know I've seen all those ports explained here on this forum. I want to say it's part of the idle or pilot circuit.

Was the carb with the improperly set float the one that was giving the black plug? I ask because a 26mm setting would actually give a lower and leaner fuel level in the bowl.

No, the black plug was the left cylinder and the improperly set float was the right.

Those 2 passageways angling in there are air feeds. One feeds the pilot jet, the other the main. Your dinged one feeds the pilot. If you look at the top of your float bowl, you can see the tracks the air flows along .....

qj73qga.jpg

I guess fuel leaking in past that dinged area could cause rich running. The only fuel that should be in those tracks is what comes up through the jets.

Thanks 5Twins! That's the photo I remember seeing. That damaged bowl is from the left cylinder , the one with the black plug, so I wonder?
We'll see what happens tomorrow when I get her running again.

If I may suggest.... smear a light coat of grease on that sealing surface and tighten the float bowl to it. Remove the bowl and see if the grease transfers to the gasket on those questionable areas.

If I may suggest.... smear a light coat of grease on that sealing surface and tighten the float bowl to it. Remove the bowl and see if the grease transfers to the gasket on those questionable areas.

I could certainly try that. They are still on the workbench.

... smear a light coat of grease on that sealing surface and tighten the float bowl to it. Remove the bowl and see if the grease transfers to the gasket on those questionable areas...

Also, closely examine the impressed pattern on the gasket. Reusing an old gasket from another carb could cause problems since it may already have an impression that would allow a leak around the squashed rib...

Back