My 81 xs build

ramairgtz

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
This is my first build and it's going to be slow buying parts as I get extra money but hopefully I'll get some riding time in before end of summer. Bought the bike for $200 95% complete with a clean title. Got the motor tore down and going to have the cylinders bored due to some rust on the walls. Doing the banshee swap and pamco to keep it simple. Got the tcbros hard tail and gasket set in the mail today. Picking up a sportster tank in the morning and hopefully I can get started on the hardtail this weekend. Need to put the motor back together and get it in the frame before I start. Here's some pics
3f7f0e89.jpg

3c96bbd8.jpg

f172df81.jpg

6c11eac9.jpg

Picked up a $40 sportster tank today gotta love craigslist!
42c9eba6.jpg

As soon as all this crazy weather passes and I get the wifes car out of the garage I'll get to work on the hard tail. I have 2 cars, 2 1/2 motorcycles, a big 2 seater go kart and a ton of tools squeezed in there so it's kinda tight.

uknowme2goog I'm unsure on the color. Thought about doing the tank and fender in black then putting some big blue metal flake over it. Last shop I worked at we did a customers harley like that and it looked really cool. Or I may do a silver with a dark silver stripe down the middle of the tank and fender. I work painting cars for a living but I've never done much as far as custom stuff just factory paint jobs so I'd like to get creative with this one. I marblized the frame on my zx6r it looks pretty cool so maybe I'll play around with some of that. Here's a pic
ninjapics018.jpg

Started on the hard tail last night. Got everything cut off and cleaned up and I'm going to weld it all together after work
1c4ecd8a.jpg

95051cb1.jpg

cf88037d.jpg

Nice work!!!

hahahah, I've got the cut ass end in my shed too. I gotta do something with it, it's in the way.
I didn't even take the seat off.
rear half.jpg

Hahaha I've got the shredded ass end in my shed too. I'll be keeping the swingarm to fab up a truing stand...

Got the hard tail welded on last night. I spent more time measuring than it took to do the actual welding. At least I know it's on there straight
e2c0377f.jpg

2faf7aed.jpg

d44af55a.jpg

Starting to look like something
210d6548.jpg

Also spent a good 15 minutes making that woodruff key for the pma swap. It looked really easy but darn thing kept fighting me and wouldn't fit right

I have basically the same bike as you, what do you plan on doing with the front blinker mounts? do they just slide off when the front end it off and such?

Got some new bars from captmilk, a seat, and a very rough fender from lowbrowcustoms. Not sure what is up with that fender but it looks like someone beat it with a hammer all over. I sent them an e-mail but i guess I won't hear back until Monday. Here's a few pics
f670af6c.jpg

61e9fe95.jpg

Next step is order pistons and motor parts from mikesxs and get that wrapped up. Still have a big list of parts to buy but it's slowly getting smaller

Just ordered a bunch of parts from mikesxs and bought another rear fender. I'm sending that other one back to lowqualitycustoms tomorrow. Bought some taller seat springs and made a front seat mount. As soon as my sprockets get here and I find a chain I'll mount the tank, seat and fender.
87f3c08a.jpg

13bd25c7.jpg

Back