My 81' XS650 Chopper & Intro

Checked my gas mileage today on my way back home from work. 57MPG. Thats pretty awesome. 100 miles a day when I go in to work. 65mph highway to 35mph curves going over Virginia City and 55mph to 25mph in Reno. I had a great ride today.

That's a beautiful ride. I rode over to Virginia City from Reno and back at sunset a couple of weeks ago. Sweet new paving on a nice scenic road is hard to beat. Wish I could have stayed and ridden more.

Be sure you keep enough air in your rear tire to keep it from squirming-that could be part of the problem.

John

Another 100 miles today. I'm over 2000 miles on my bike now.

Everything is running pretty smooth. I'm cleaning up a smaller sportster tank to put on it. I have new bungs and petcocks in the mail for it. I think I'll like it better.

I need to do something different with the pegs. My feet vibrate off of them. So I need to find some rubber ones. I like the look of the BMX pegs though.

I really need to remember to use sunblock! LOL

I'm super happy with the bike right now. I really don't want to take it apart for paint yet. lol. I just want to ride it some more. I'll probably paint the tank and fender soon. The frame will have to wait until winter when I tear into my motor for the re-phase/700 upgrade.

So I've been looking for a 21" front and a 16" rear. I'm finding that the HD rears are much cheaper than the XS650 rears. IE: $45 for a HD 16" vs $300 for a XS650 rear (that's all rusted up). What's up with that?

For the front, I'm finding that dirt bike wheels are around $50. HD fronts are $300+. I've found a few under but they were wideglide. But I've found a few that I'm emailed about verifying the 17mm axle size. Hope to have one soon for under $100.

Man, I was willing to pay up to $300 before I started researching.

So here's what I'm thinking...

I have a HD front wheel with 3/4 axle. I want to use my 17mm axle.

I can make a 19.05 OD x 17mm ID sleeve that goes outside to outside of the bearings. Then some regular spacers that are 1" OD x 17mm ID.

What do you guys think?

This happened on my way to work today.

547719_10151115932735406_1956452000_n.jpg

This POS tail light. I'm looking for something else now.

Evoloner hooked me up with a soldering iron and some wire. That got me home. I also emailed TC Bros that the new replacement failed.

All's good. While I was at Evoloner's house we got his XS to fire up. That was awesome! Now he is almost on the road again. Just need to tidy up a bit.

I've got over 3000 miles on my bike so far!

I'm working on a new smaller sporty tank. Moved the filler and added two 1/4" petcocks. It's looking pretty good for using a 110 Mig. I had to seal it because I could not get all the leaks welded. Not bad for my first time I think. Going to put some bondo on it to clean up the welds and a dent. I'll put up some photos later.

I ordered my Wargasser spool and spokes today for my 21". Hope to get them put together soon. I want to have my tank and wheels done for Street Vibrations. I'm going to make some new 1" bars soon too. Just need to save up a few more bucks.

The bike has been running great! It could use a little more go power for passing on the freeway, but it's still awesome to ride around on. It's pretty cool to have everyone give me the thumbs up while driving past me. Even a cop waved today on my way into work.

Went riding around Ft Churchill last night. My replacement tail light broke. I'm done with it. Going down to Ace Cycles and getting the Sparto light and a bunch of new stuff.

614494_10151201491145406_1693370040_o.jpg

I have also been working on my new tank over the weekend. Bondo and Paint. I want to get my tank and fender painted before Street Vibrations. Painting is a lot of work and I'm in no way a perfectionist. It's going to have some blemishes, but it will look good to me.

169591_10151201491825406_1025260408_o.jpg

I'm going to build some new bars also. 1" with internal throttle and cool clutch lever. Going down to Ace tomorrow to pick up the steel and parts.

I been thinking about trying one of these on my current build with an 11" stretch, just a thought to keep it from tracking left right probably have to replace it often but who knows, you can find them on Ebay for $10 under "Dolly or Slider Track Wheels"

Attachments

• Dolly or Slider Track Wheels.jpg
    Dolly or Slider Track Wheels.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 135
Nick at Ace Cycles in Sparks is making me some spacer/adapters for my wheel so I can use my 17mm axle with my new 21" wheel.

Spacer from fork to hub would be 1.3125" and the sleeve inside the hub would be 1.625".
Each spacer would be overall length 2.9375".
17mm ID and 3/4" OD.

Last edited:
Got my wheelspacers from Nick Yesterday. At first they didn't fit my axle, but after taking the wirewheel to them they fit like a tight glove.

All I need to do is finish painting my tank and mount it then wire the new tail light and mount the license plate on it. Oh and put the spoke rear wheel on.

XXLJQ11lLdU9kN0PD8y6kE4QPp1HvA-Yklfw=w1177-h879-no.jpg

423651_10151222397780406_2147426890_n.jpg

527571_10151222397985406_1576310051_n.jpg

Last edited:
So close to being done with my tank! Just need to hit it with some 1000-1500 paper to clean out the bugs and a run then clear it.

IMG_1026.jpg

I'm still waiting for the fender from RockingThePartyDJ. Not sure what's going on. Either it's lost in the mail or he didn't send it. 10 days now. Starting to get angry.

So I was cleaning up my new rear spoke wheel and found five broken spokes on the left side. Looks like I need a spoke kit now. I'll just ride my mag until I can afford spokes. I blew like three months of budget on my front wheel. LOL

I'm going to get my tank done tonight so I can ride into Reno this weekend and check out the bikes.

Last edited:
So close to being done with my tank! Just need to hit it with some 1000-1500 paper to clean out the bugs and a run then clear it.

384255_10151223960490406_857810385_n.jpg

I'm still waiting for the fender from RockingThePartyDJ. Not sure what's going on. Either it's lost in the mail or he didn't send it. 10 days now. Starting to get angry.

So I was cleaning up my new rear spoke wheel and found five broken spokes on the left side. Looks like I need a spoke kit now. I'll just ride my mag until I can afford spokes. I blew like three months of budget on my front wheel. LOL

I'm going to get my tank done tonight so I can ride into Reno this weekend and check out the bikes.

I bought the headlight from him - shipping time drags! He sold me a good product at a fair price, give him a bit more time is my advice.

Just my :twocents:

Thanks for the info Spanky. Maybe I'll get it tomorrow. Usually using USPS I get items in three days. Even from FL. I think I can get away with my license plate almost flat for a day or two until I get the new fender. Of course it's street vibrations, so I'll probably get a ticket. LOL

EDIT: Finally received it today.

Last edited:
Got my POS to Street Vibrations. It was a hit. Tons of people were asking me about it. It feels good to get props for something that you have built. I'm pretty happy right now.

Back